Has anyone had to give their child Human Growth Hormone injections?

My son has chronic renal failure and he is in need of Human Growth Hormone injections. He actually is really healthy otherwise and his kidneys do function at 60% but they are still the size when he was born, no growth. He is 10 years old and the size of a 8 year old and isn't really growing well at this point he has fallen from the 5th percentile down to the 3rd. They want to start him on HGH injections before he hits puberty. I'm just wanting some more information from parents that have actually had to go through it or are going through it.

jojo13

Asked by jojo13 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• are these shots just to make sure he's not short, or will it help with his kidney problem.

I guess if it was me, I'd wonder if pushing him to grow more would take away energy that could be used to heal his kidneys- maybe that is one of the reasons why the growth is affected. - just a thought
    not a doctor, but i would do all the research I could on that sort of thing before I would put it in my child.
    Anonymous

• yes. My son was diagnosed with a thyroid condition and he fell off the growth charts at 6 months. He has been on nightly injections of Humatrope since he was 5. He is 13 now. You can message me if you like. There is a great website (but you have to pay to join) about it called the Magic Foundation. How just so you know these shots work best when started earlier rather than later. I would question any endocrinologist who tells you other wise.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The shots would be for his growth not his kidneys. His kidneys are never going to grow they've been the same size as when he was born. But they feel he needs to get on the shots now before he hits puberty to give him a better chance before going through his growth spurt. I did see the website you mentioned and I saw some other opinions on there of other parents. It's sounds promising. I just really would like to get as much info on it and what the downsides are.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My brother received growth hormones and the doctors think they really negatively impacted him. Shortly after he received them when he was 15, he became extremely violent and things went downhill from there. They attributed that to the shots. My brother was very short for his age too and my Dad was really worried that he would be "little." So, they gave him the shots...they still regret it to this day. Oh and he is still very aggressive to this day....don't know if it did something permanent or what. I would just do your research and see what the side effects are and weigh it from there. Good luck!
    mybrowneyedboys

Answer by mybrowneyedboys at 7:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks Heather! I will definitely weigh the option and look at the side effects. I'm wondering if with your brother maybe it somehow screwed up his testosterone levels. Thanks for commenting I really just want to hear the truth and what the downsides are so I can make the right decision.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I am sure that it did. The docs said he shouldn't have been injected with them...I don't know. I'll ask my parents and get some specifics.
    mybrowneyedboys

Answer by mybrowneyedboys at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks girl!
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No problem:)
    mybrowneyedboys

Answer by mybrowneyedboys at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• my son has shown no aggression and he hs been on them for 8 years. It's not a testosterone injection it is synthetic hormones found naturally in the body to stimulate growth. My son produces none of his own and least not levels that can be measured.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2010