Have you heard about the upcoming recall on infant sling-type carriers?

I have the baby bjorn that I used with my son, but think I will much prefer the sling-type carrier for my newborn son, who is coming in May.... The news did not specify how many deaths (due to suffocation) have occurred because of the slings. It did mention that some of the fasteners on the Infantino brand failed and babies had fallen out so those were already recalled..... It already occurred to me that using the sling, one would have to be especially cautious for those two reasons, but is it really necessary for me to abandon using it???????? Please offer thoughts/experiences..... Thanks! :)

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard about the warnings about the "sling". I would use the Baby Bjorn only. I have heard so mcuh about "Baby wearing" and it sounds a little radical. Babies are fine in the old fashioned baby carrier or in your arms.
    Anonymous

• Radical? really?

slings and wraps ARE the "old fashioned" carriers. I personally prefer a wrap, and you do NOT need to buy one, just google directions.

The unfortunate thing about a sling is that most people do not research before using one, and position the baby incorrectly in it, which is the danger of using one. NOT that the sling is inherently dangerous, but that as anything else goes, if you use it improperly it CAN be.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Um, a sling is about as "old fashioned" as it gets. They've been used for hundreds of years in all cultures. When done right, a sling is safe. There are many websites out there you can find correct information at. Babywearer.com (I think that's the right address) has a TON of info. I use a ring sling from sleepingbaby.net and I love it. It was $25 and I've used it since DD was newborn (she's 9m/o now).
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 12:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I think a mother's arms is the best way to carry a baby. Or a stroller,if shopping. I am an old-fashioned Mom and Grandma. This "baby wearing" is really quite pretentious.
    Anonymous

• Its about the infantino sling not all slings. The problem with that specific sling is basically the same problem that cause babies to suffocate in infant car seats. The C shape can cause suffocation, this is nothing new, this specific sling has been recalled before.
    Normal slings and wraps don't force the baby into a C shape, there is nothing new about baby wearing. It has been around for as long as there have been human beings.
    I dont hear anything about recalls of car seats for the same reason? wonder why that is. A lot of european car seat manufacturers specifically warn parents against the over use of car seats because babies have died because of the C shape.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Its pretentious to use something that makes your baby content and allows you do actually do something? I get compliments on my slings all the time from grandmothers! They think it's so neat and that my little man looks so comfy (he was! Boy he loved that thing... just like being back in the tummy!).

The recall is about bag style slings like the infantino. Pouches and ring slings are perfectly safe when used properly.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If you are truly "old fashioned" then babywearing is as old as you can get!

I agree with the others about the infantino pouch sling. A good proper wrap/sling/carrier (specificaly the kind that are tried and true) are perfectly safe when used properly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I used a wrap - much easier on the arms and shoulders than a sling.

www.mamatoto.org has excellent information.

I think a lot of the problem is parents COVERING baby's face - but thats common sense to leave breathing room.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I hated the Bjorn. You try dangling from your crotch and see how you like it. My baby always pooped out of her diaper when she was in it. The sling is safer. And if you think it's just silly to use a carrier instead of carrying the baby, try going to the grocery store and carrying your four month old with your arms. I'm not going to do it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Here is a really good article on this topic: Baby Sling Safety

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010