If I'm 35 now, and I had first child 4 yrs ago, then a miscarry, then a child 13 months ago, and another miscarry this month, Does that mean my eggs are getting old and I may not be able to have another child?

eggs old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it gets harder to conceive and riskier to carry the child causeing misscarrages and the chance of birth defects rises - i would consult my doc to see if there are any underlying reasons other than age that could cause this...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• There are higher pregnancy risks after 35, but just because you have a miscarraige or 2 does not mean that your eggs are "too old." I miscarried my first pregnancy and I was 22. I now have a 15 month old and one 3 months away. If you are concerned, always talk to your doctor, but most wouldn't consider you high risk due to miscarraiges until you have had 3.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Over 30% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. There are so many reasons it happens, that I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that you won't have any more children. You've been able to do it twice! Your body can carry a child. Sure, as we get older, the eggs that remain are more likely to have a chromosomal defect that prevents conception or leads to miscarriage, but there are still eggs that are perfectly fine.

Getting a consult with a fertility specialist to run the basic tests, such as an ultrasound and hysterosalpignogram (sp) to check out what's going on in there and basic bloodwork during your cycle to test your hormone levels could help set your mind at ease. Or, they could clue you in to something that they might be able to fix.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• (my thought got cut off...)
    For example, some miscarriages happen because there is not enough progesterone in your system to help sustain the pregnancy. There are supplements that can be used to boost progesterone to help your body hold on to the embryo.

Don't give up yet if you really want more children. It might take a little help, but it's most likely possible! Good luck!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2008