Can Breastfeeding women take birth control pills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes..but I think its just progesterone..not sure..I think your body is already making one of the hormones already. My OB offered to right a script and I declined because I just wanted my body chemistry to return to normal after being pregnant. I was still planning on having another child, so a pregnancy wouldn't have been to big a deal.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Not the combination pill. It won't hurt the baby, but it will hurt your milk supply and make it difficult to continue breastfeeding. You can take the minipill without affecting your supply.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Estrogen in the pill decrease the milk supply.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I got the Paragard copper IUD at my 6 week check-up. No hormones to negatively effect your milk supply. Or make you gain weight. Or make you extra moody. I've had it in for 2 months now & I love it - there's nothing to think about, it's just there.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Breast feeding women are usually prescribed the mini-pill. I personally don't like hormonal methods and will be getting the Paraguard copper IUD.
    Anonymous

• Most women do okay on the "mini pill" (progestin only) but some women will have a decrease in supply even with that. I always have used non-hormonal methods while breastfeeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010