Is anyone on here a fosterparent?

If so, how do you deal with everything? Are you wanting to adopt or just foster?

crystal492

Asked by crystal492 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did foster/adopt. It was through a private agency than runs the program for the state. So I had a foster care license, I had to take the classes, do a home study. But the only children they would place with me are ones that they intended for me to adopt. One of the kids ended up going home after a year because the state lost their case against the mom. Each state runs things differently so I would contact social services and ask them about it. They should have some kind of informational classes about fostering every once in a while.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• How do you deal with everything? I'm thinking that you may not be talking about the load of paperwork & classes, but perhaps the abuse & neglect that's in your face daily, perhaps dealing with visits with biological parents & various other relatives, or the behaviors of the children because of what they've been thru? Maybe even the return or possible return of a child that you have come to love?

At first, I didn't think that I COULD deal with it, but have learned that I am stronger than I knew. I also remember that I am an adult & they are but little children coping with things that I can't imagine. If they can do that having suffered, then my part isn't so hard. Does it hurt, YES! But (to quote a friend) if we who care don't take care of them, then doesn't that leave them to those who can distance themselves so as to not feel the pain?

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2010