medication question..

i just had a baby about a week ago, and i am breast feeding, i was given, and prescribed oxycodone for pain. the doctors were aware i was breast feeding and i even asked them if it was safe, they said yes. i was also prescribed ibuprofen. my question is, were any of you prescribed these medications while breastfeeding? im just a little concerned because some peole are telling me it can pass thru the mothers milk, and others say its ok, so i dont know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took ibuprofen for the pain but just a couple of days. The stitches was hurting me.
    Anonymous

• I was prescribed oxycodone after my surgery in January while I was breastfeeding a then-two-month-old. Both answers are correct. A negligible amount of the medicaition does pass through your milk, but not enough to affect your baby if taken in the prescribed dosage.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• What riotgrrl said. I was given both those medications agter my gall bladder surgery last month. DD is 9m/o and had no adverse reaction from the medication.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I've been prescribed both, and both are safe, if taken as directed or less. Obviously, watch baby for any adverse reactions, but in most cases it's fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2010