two schools of thought... what do you think?

I have a freshman in high school and have been consulting with parents of older kids regarding class selection. I have been given two different pieces of advice... which do you agree with and why? (btw.. this is an accelerated school so one term is a full year of a subject)

1) Have the child take a class like Economics first term, then take AP Economics the second term to boost grade point average. The thought is to get the best possible grade point average so as to get into a better college.
2) Have the child take classes like Economics first term, then take one of the many electives to help determine passions. The thought is to try and find a passion/career path while in high school to save time and money in college.

This is assuming that the child would not be ready to take an AP class right off the bat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a 15 yr old grand son that lives with use he takes an splits up everything that way he has time for after school clubs and all he does really good by doing it that way he tried to do it the other way but it was to hard on him so let him pick how he wants to do it but let him know he might want to join a club are something and it might be to much on him
    sandrayanc

Answer by sandrayanc at 1:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• sandrayanc... i dont understand what you mean by "splits up" everything? The class schedule doesnt effect after school activites.

OP
    Anonymous

• I say option 2.   Allow the child to have different experiences.  It gives them a better idea of what general direction to head in (career wise).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Find out first IF your child's colleges of choice will take AP credits! Some colleges do not.
    And IF your child struggles with any course, it is far better to take the lower ranked course and get a great grade it in than to have a harder course that the child struggles with. That will bring down the GPA and its hard to raise a GPA once its dipped.

Colleges also want to see students with well rounded transcripts. They don't want transcripts that are all loaded down with the academic courses and have few electives....look at art, music, drafting, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Who cares what "Colleges want to see." The college you kid goes to should depend on the career he wants. Find his passion first. He is already in an advanced/accelerated HS he should be able to get into 95% of the colleges out there. A study a few years back showed that kids who were accepted to ivy league schools, but chose to go to state universities did just as well in their careers as the ones who went ahead with their ivy league plans. The kid has got to love it until he is 67 years old! High school is not a 4 year competition to get into the best college. Find out what he loves. And take math. (I also have a 9th grader and one older and one younger.)

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I also have a freshman in an academically advanced school. Keep in mind that colleges, especially private ones, are moving away from weighted grades; many now consider an AP A = an Honors A = a regular A. Your child should stick with classes that she is interested in; they should be chosen by your child and guidance counselor.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• twinsplus2more.... my understanding is that an AP class is a 5 point class... this is how children graduate with above a 4.0 average. I didnt know that a college wouldnt accept the class. So if they took AP History... would they consider that child not having taken history???

Some how that simply doesnt make sense to me. The idea isnt to put them in a class that they arent ready for... the idea is to take the class twice. Once at the lower level, then again at the higher level so as to assure and A that is equal to 5 points.

OP

Anonymous

• It isn't that they don't accept the class, its the AP test that the child can elect to take that some colleges don't accept credits from.
    Taking the class twice is utter pointless unless the child really didn't get the 1st time.

These poor kids are over structured, over scheduled, and over stressed and the school is going to make them take a course twice to make the school's statistics look better....sorry, but I would not be happy about that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'm totally against taking the same class twice for the grade point. The kid needs to be enjoying and exploring. As I said before, your child isn't going to have a problem getting into a respectable college. There is no point to go after the Ivy League. It isn't what the university brings to the student, but what the student brings to the university.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I would let my child decide which classes they wanted to take. My daughter graduates this year and she always chose her own classes. After all, you are not the one going to high school, your child is.
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010