Census jobs unfilled in some places?

The Census Bureau is having trouble finding qualified temporary workers in some neighborhoods for the national head count despite the record number of jobless who have swelled the nationwide pool of applicants.

Hartford, Conn~On the north side, an upscale area, the Census can't find enough people who need the jobs that pay $15 to $22.75 an hour in Hartford.

"In professional neighborhoods, the recession didn't really hit yet," says Bruce Kaminski, deputy regional director for the Boston region that includes New England, Upstate New York and Puerto Rico. "Doctors are still employed. Lawyers are still employed."

In central Dallas, where more people work than live, recruitment efforts are reaching mostly commuters who live in the suburbs. Many residents of the business district live in upscale condos and are less likely to apply.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In Martha's Vineyard, Mass., a summer resort, there aren't enough people living on the island in the offseason to hire.

The same thing is happening in Superior, Wis., on the shore of Lake Superior, says Wendy Button, chief of recruiting for the 2010 Census. "We're having trouble getting people there because of weekend homes," she says.

In Cincinnati, the local office has extended the hiring deadline because it's having difficulty finding enough workers in several neighborhoods.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I know they're still recruiting here in North Dakota, in Wyoming, and in Montana.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Does it stop me from collecting unemployemnt? If so I won't do it.
    Anonymous

• Anon :28, troll much? I'm not sure what the question is here...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Show this to NotPanicking who refuses to believe there's a single job anywhere in the country not being bombarded with applicants.
    Anonymous

• Theyre still hiring in NC too. My husband and I both put in for jobs with them weeks ago, and never heard back. I know alot of people willing to do the job we have a 20% unemployment rate, but no one I know got called back. Mind you I have a degree, and my husband knows everyone in this area. Its just weird how they say they have these jobs but no one is getting hired for them.

Answer by gemgem at 3:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Oh and I ahree with Not Panicking if thats what shes saying.Come spend a month in this area and try and find work. I think the census jobs are a lie. Obviously...no one I know has gotten hired.
    Anonymous

• Well, I think the BIGGEST deterrent is you have to pass a TEST, in order to become a Census Taker! LOL My husband took and scored 100% on his Census Takers Exam, and is now awaiting word on when his training will be scheduled. In the Lehigh Valley, PA area they pay $17/hour. My husband and I are both gainfully employed, but my husband feels very strongly about doing his part to accurately record citizens! ;o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• What LoriKeet said. You not only have to apply but take a test and pass it (in areas where they are absolutely desperate they'll actually grade on a curve, they did this in Wyoming). I personally will not work for the Census again. It was like working for a bunch of 12 year olds.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2010