Has anyone's baby had a bad reaction to the chicken pox vaccine?

Just curious to see how common this is.... My friends son had a horrible reaction and actually broke out with a really bad case of the chicken pox all from the vaccine.... my daughter is scheduled in 2 weeks to get hers... Anyone else experience this or something like it? Also, when we were all babies we didn't have to get this vaccine... Is this shot a mandatory one? (to get into school)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No shot is mandatory, they can't make you give it to your child. Your school district has a waiver you can sign. My kids have received the shot with no problem. My oldest niece got really sick, flu like after receiving it but did not get any chicken pox. My sil then waited until her other kids started kindergarten to give it to them instead of when they were really little and none of them had a reaction. If is up to you. Do not let your doctor tell you that your child has to have it if you are uncomfortable with it.
    Anonymous

• The chicken pox (varicella) vaccine is fairly new. We did not receive it as children because it didn't exist. People with an egg allergy should not receive the vaccine. No vaccine is mandatory. Most states have multiple exemption statuses.  I think only 2 states accept ONLY a medical exemption. 

Anonymous

• actually, the shot isn't new. my brother was a test baby back in 1990 for it. never had a reaction, never got the pox! I always considered chicken pox to be a kinda mild thing, but I did some homework and chose to get it with our children. just have to weigh the pros and cons but I wouldn't base my choice off of someone else's reaction. you never know whats going on exactly.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 2:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• if you are curious about vaccine laws in your state you can go to nvic.org
    we don't vaccinate our children for anything. for us, the risks outweigh the benefits.
    there is a ton of information out there...good luck with your choices!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010