i want to become a car seat tech and lc

i want to become carseat tech and lc. carseat safety and bf are just 2 of my passion. (funny thing is i have actually never bf) i did pump for 10 mts but i dont want other moms to go what i went thru so i wnat to help others mom to breastfeed. as for carseat safety. i became passionate about a year ago. any moms here know how i can become qualified to do both and whats the cost?

piwife

Asked by piwife at 1:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know about carseat techs, but there are 2 ways to become an IBCLC. One is to become a registered nurse and log hours of breastfeeding support. The other is to become a La Leche League leader and log hours that way. Both take about 5 years, and obviously nursing school is going to cost a whole lot more. Beocming a LLL leader is not very expensive. It costs a yearly membership, the cost of your leader handbook and application fee and then if you don't have a chapter to join already the cost of starting a chapter.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You have to have breastfed your baby for at least a year to be a La Leche League Leader.
    Anonymous

• That's true, Anon, I forgot about that. I think pumping counts, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• car seat tech is a real thing? My friend became a lactation consultant and its really alot of work but if it was me I want a mom whom has BF consulting me! I think that would be a cool job though. I BF all three kids but doing xray tech! LOL
    Anonymous

• yeah ca rseat tech is a real thing. i didnt actually bf i pumped. yet i have gotten 3 babies to latch on to their moms breast and one of my friends has succesfully bf almost a year and she always tells me is thanks to me.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Safekids.org there should be links on there to direct you on how to become a CPST. You have to take a course, it usually takes about a weekend, and pay around a $75 fee. But safekids is usually the way to go. They also should have links for finding carseat techs in your area, and you could give them a call to get some info! KUDOS to you! Im waiting for a CPST course to come to my area, there was one in January, but it was cancelled...bummer.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2010