Lack of Common Sense, Brainwashed, or Actual Religious Faith?

OREGON CITY, Ore. — An Oregon couple who practice faith-healing testified they did everything they could for their 16-year-old son before he died, but a jury decided it was not enough, especially just months after the death of their granddaughter.

UPDATED NEWS
Ore. faith-healers sentenced to prison for son's death

By The Associated Press
03.09.10

OREGON CITY, Ore. — The judge who sentenced a couple to prison yesterday for the death of their son says members of their church must quit relying on faith-healing when their children’s lives are at stake.

I personally believe people who behave this way are truly brainwashed, lack all common sense, and THEY really believe in faith healing. I'm not saying it can't be done, because my own husband has healing hands, BUT his ability is limited to small things. Besides, we'd never NOT get our kids checked out by a doctor, just to be safe.
Links in reply.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Brain washed, AND criminally negligent, that's what I think. Practice whatever "religion" you want, but to not propertly take care of sick children is not excusable. Period. I'm glad they were sentenced to jail, not long enough in my book though.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• God gave gifts to people to become doctors who can help heal us. To just rely on faith alone is sometimes not enough especially when it comes to our children. just plain stupid.
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't think religion should have anything to do with this argument. I, as a free American, have the right to refuse medical treatment, and as a competent parent should have the right to refuse it for my kids. Period! IF the doctors don't like my choice, have me proven incompetent, but NO ONE should be FORCED to undergo medical treatments. In this case the "child" was 16 and of an age where he should have had the right to make that choice for himself. Now, if the parents refused to allow him to get the care HE wanted, they are infringing on his rights and should face action. But if their actions were in accordance with what he wanted, they should have that right. Even if they didn't believe in faith healing. To me this isn't a religious argument, it's political. And we should have the right to refuse any medical treatment we choose for ourselves or our young children - PERIOD!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• God did give us a brain to use, He also gave doctors healing hands as well. I believe in healing by faith as well but I will consult a doctor too. I believe this couple did not use the wisdom from God to take their son to the dr. Sadly they will live with that choice in jail.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Also I want to add.. this church is bordering on the title of a cult .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Followers_of_Christ   Yup this confirms it for me.. a cult.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure what it is but it's wrong. People need to use doctors.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i don't believe it should be a criminal offense to not see a dr. or to refuse a dr.'s advice. this country was founded on right to freedom of religion, wasn't it? haven't the amish lost people b/c of their beliefs? in my opinion, it is criminal the amount of drugs that babies and young children are given these days, but i still wouldn't prosecute a parent for doing what they believed to be in the best interest of the health and safety of their child.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't care what their motivation was - the government should not have the power to force you to take treatment you don't want.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010