Job Switch-Opinions needed!

My husband works for our local utility district-sewer and water. This is considered a government or state job, so the benefits are pretty rocking- free insurance, plenty of PTO, amazing 401k. The pay is sorta sucky though-$12.60 an hour. He recently got a job offer working for a pest control company making $18-20 an hour. More money would be great, but im uneasy about him leaving a job that is pretty secure- no matter how bad the economy gets, we need sewer and water! but pest control is a "luxury" ... any opinions?

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree w/ what you are saying. Its great security where he is at, but I would worry about switching, especially in this economy. You never know what could happen. I would suggest him stay where he was at, and if more money is needed, maybe he could look into a part time job.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If the higher paying job doesn't have the same benefits it could really net out to be a lower paying job. I'd want to figure out what the real economic difference is for your family. If the higher paying job isn't higher paying after you account for benefits, then the decision to stay put is easy. If you really will end up with more money and still have health insurance, then you have to also put a price on job security and see how they stack up.
    Anonymous

• I would be wary of losing health insurance. Especially since we don't know exactly where our country's heath care system is headed. Maybe he could start trying to get a promotion where he is now?
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 10:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• There is no way I would leave a govt job in this economy!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2010