Priest vs. Reservist: What Really Happened?

TAMPA - It was a case that pitted the word of a priest against that of a Marine reservist.

The Rev. Alexios Marakis of Greece said he was beaten bloody with a tire iron after asking the reservist for directions near downtown Tampa.

Lance Cpl. Jasen Bruce said he was only defending himself after a bearded man in a robe propositioned him and grabbed his genitals.

Today, the reservist's word prevailed.

Hillsborough County prosecutors will not pursue charges against Bruce.

After reading the whole story, and seeing the photos, it just doesn't add up to me. I think the reservist did attack the man, not because he was grabbed, but because he thought the guy was a terrorist, as he claimed on the 911 call. Now, I believe the priest may have touched him to get his attention & ask directions, but that's it. The reservist probably freaked out and hit him, then claimed he was accosted. That's just my opinion, of course. Link in reply.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Also, I DO believe he was not charged because he is a state snitch.

PRIEST vs. RESERVIST

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Eh, I think it could have been a misunderstanding. The reservist could have THOUGHT something was sexual, gotten freaked, and beat the man. His story doesn't sound like an outright lie.

Also, I don't think the priest was attacking him - but his story about being lost doesn't add up either. Who goes into a parking garage to ask directions?

Chances are, they both probably edited their stories to make them sound better.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• He was obviously telling the truth. "In the 911 call, Bruce made a derogatory comment about a man he said was a terrorist and was trying to rob him and had grabbed him in a sexual manner," police said.

The reservist thought he was doing the right thing 1 He protected himself 2 he called police 3 he chased and subdued the "criminal" until police arrived. That there says he wasn't just beating some guy cause he wanted to.

The reservist was in the right and maybe now the perverted priest learned to keep his hands to himself.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yes, of course, OP, the warmongering Marine attacked, and beat, a man for asking him directions. That has to be it! Everyone knows Marines are blood-crazed maniacs with no capacity for rational thinking!

eye rolling

Anonymous

• Why would a man grabbing your genitals make you think he was a terrorist?

You don't just BEAT a man with a TIRE IRON if he has NOT assaulted you in anyway....

The priest had no weapon...therefor this is excessive. I beleiev the reservist was biased and felt justified in beating this man reasoning in his mind that he deserved it for being a "terrorist"..This is a dangerous way to think...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2010