My son is in 6th garde with an IEP....

the teacher wants to accomidate him during MCAS by letting him write in answers & not fill in bubbles. She feels that filling in the bubbles will confuse him. After the test she will fill in the bubbles for him. Doesn't this sound absolutley insane? He needs to learn how to take tests. Remind you MCAS is only for funding of the school based on the schools results.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son has an IEP and for standardized tests he get a smaller group and longer time to take the test. Having the teacher fill in the bubbles doesn't even sound right. That isn't an option here in Michigan. There are some strict rules here for standardized tests.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would think filling in answers would be more difficult than filling in a bubble. It does sound strange...ask her to explain to you why she feels he would do better that way.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• cindy 18- I'm from Michigan- doesn't Michigan have have the strictest laws for just about everything?
    Anonymous

• what does his IEP state? Does he need help with standardized testing? If not than taking the bubble test shouldn't be an issue. My son also has an IEP and never heard of this.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Are you sure the test only effects funding? In most states they use scores for class placement as well. I would hate for him to bomb the test because he bubbled the answers wrong. If he bubbles him self the teacher won't be able to help him or tell him if he gets off a line or messes it up during the test.

Does the teacher have a specific reason why she thinks he will have trouble? Many ESE students have issues with visual tracking that make it very difficult to transfer information from one page to another. That accommodation is in place to make sure the test results accurately reflect what the child knows.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• OOPS I didn't mean to post that anonymously! :(

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2010