My dd just turned a year old, can I give her milk now?

She is eating food...all kinds of food, so can I stop with the formula if she is getting her nutrients from food?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 1:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you stop formula and switch to whole milk at a year.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I've never formula fed, so I dont know for sure. But I know that you can give them regular milk at 1. As far as cutting out formula, that should be fine but I'd ask your doc to make sure.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I started useing a liquid vitamin (can't remember the name) when dd quit taking formula at 11.5 mos. You can give her milk now as well, I went right to 2% because dd didn't need to gain weight and dr said it was fine. Just make sure you try to get in fruits, veggies, and dairy.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yes. Use whole milk because they need the fat in it for brain development. Even though both my boys were at or above 50% on the growth charts and weight wasn't an issue for them, their pediatrician said go with whole milk til they are 2. I would do organic if you can afford it, but if not, read the carton to see if it says "no growth hormones or antibiotics". But yes, you can start her on cow's milk.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My daughter's doctor switched her to milk at 11 months since her formula was upsetting her tummy. She has been on it for almost a month and she is great.
    ah2590

Answer by ah2590 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You can, but you don't need to. She does not need to drink anything besides water.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You can. You can also continue formula if you want. Also, you don't NEED to give cow milk. Again, you can if you want, but it's not NECESSARY.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010