Pills to increase breastmilk??

My breast milk is drying up after only 2 weeks. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. Everything has been going great. My diet is healthy and I know I'm getting enough to eat and drink. I'm doing everything the lactation consultant suggested! My midwife suggested a pill that increases milk. Has anybody ever tried this? Experiences? Is there a natural alternative? I'm so scared I won't be able to continue BFing because I really do love it and DUH it's the healthiest and best for my baby, which is what every mom strives for. Just feel like a failure :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What makes you think you're drying up? MOST moms misdiagnose themselves.

Please get to the breastfeeding moms group STAT. TONS of ACCURATE help there (which you often won't find here in Answers)and you may find you're wrong.

Big clue: IF you're changing 6-8 dipes a day, your supply is GORGEOUS. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS...just those dipes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't know what kind of a pill your MW is talking about. Does it require a prescription? I do know you can fenugreek and other natural suppliments in pill form that will help you increase milk. I drank Mother's Milk Tea while nursing my son, but you have ot like tea because you need to drink 3-5 cups a day. A bowl of oatmeal everyday will help too. I agree with the PP too though. What makes you think you're drying up?
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 2:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• the pill is most likely motilium - I had to go on it with #3 (dr prescribed and lc recommended). it worked really well for me, but I also used a lot of the 'natural' homeopathic methods of maintaining milk production - st johns wort (I think), mothers milk tea

and a lot of water
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• How much are you breastfeeding? Why do you think your supply is low? Are you supplementing with formula? So much more info needed! There are prescription meds available but they only work along with more "milk removal". The only way to get your body to make more milk is to "remove" more milk by breastfeeding and/or pumping. the best prescription for increasing supply is Domperidone (Motillium)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i agree with diamante! it is possible you are not drying up, but rather leveling off. it is possible you were prodicing too much milk at first, and are now only producing what is needed. go by the wet diapers...not how you feel, or if you get engorged, or if you leak...for my singletons, my breasts never got bigger, and i never leaked, and i never got engorged, but i breastfed those babies! you can drink mothers milk tea, or get fenugreek and make your own tea. plenty of water is very important! i always prefer to feed on demand too. i am not sure if you are on a schedule or not, but if you are you could introduce more feedings to produce more milk...just a thought!
    good luck to you and your new baby!!!
    omg...you are not a failure!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Every1 who sd ur at the point 2 where u r leveling off. Judge by the wet diapers n if ur baby is satisfied after each feeding. Jus kno, the more milk u pump/feed, the more milk u will make. If I feel u need 2 produce more milk, pump after each feeding n u can use Fenugreek. Its an herb u can buy from GNC. I use it now and it works wonders. I take about 6 a day, 2 at each meal, n it helps. My son is 8 months now n I haven't had any problems since oi started using them. Also, drink lots of water n eat well. U lose around 500 calories per feeding, so u need 2 replenish those calories. U'll b fine. Good luck sweetie. I hope I was of some help.
    LoveMyJellyBean

Answer by LoveMyJellyBean at 3:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• http://www.ehow.com/how_2338107_take-supplements-that-increase-breast.html
    People on my birth board swear by more milk plus. You could check your local vitamin shop for fenugreek or other natural remedies.

http://naturesorganicmarket.com/more-milk-plus-liquid-organic-herbal-extract-capsules-motherlove-p-228.html
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Brewers yeast tablets work really well; fenugreek gave my breastmilk a funky odor.
    Also, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I took the pills, they did help and I didn't have any adverse side effects. It was something I just took for a couple of weeks- you took one pill the first day, then two the second, three pills day 3-12 or something and then weaned back down until you were out of the pills. I would try it paired with the natural methods and hope for the best outcome. Your milk does level off after a couple of weeks though, after about the first three weeks I rarely got engorged or even leaked because my production had regulated itself. But once my DD latched on I could feel the milk let down and knew she was drinking happily. Good luck! Keep at it, it is worth it, especially if you already love breast feeding.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'd also like to know why you think your milk is drying up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2010