What can I do to get my 8 month old to not cry when I leave a room?

Anytime I leave a room my 8 month old cries till I come back. This happens even if he's with my husband. It is starting to hurt my husband's feelings. How can I ween him off of this?

proudmommy717

Asked by proudmommy717 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time. Time. Time. That's really the ONLY cure. Tell hubby not to be hurt. ALL dads are big hairy scary creatures who are definitely Not The Momma. Soon enough it will be All Dad All The Time and your husband will eb the one going crazy.

Time. That's all there is to it. Give it time.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Its just a phase, my son went through a daddy phase where if I even tried to console him he would freak, now on my second child I know kids just go through phases. Kids dont have a good memory like we do, so maybe when you leave the room your child doesnt know that you will be coming back, try yelling from the other room like hey I am still here, reassuring. Just reassure your husband not to take it personal and if you could support each other through it, because you feel just as helpless as he does i am sure. Hang in there phases pass quickly with kids then its a just a faded memory. Good luck!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You can't "wean" them off of this behavior. This is a developmental stage. I spend a lot of time with my 8 month old on my hip ;-)

Just try and keep baby with you as much as you can and he will out grow this in time. Tell DH to not take it personally, that all babies go through this, it is a normal part of development.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Same thing happened to me. My son is 9 months old now, and he still does it. They just get attatched to mommy. He's a mommy's boy. My hubby used to get upset too, but I just explained to him that I'm at home all day everyday spending every waking moment with him while you're at work, so yeah of course he's gunna be more attatched to me then you. He loves his daddy dont get me wrong....but it's just a boy thing, i think. My son does it....it doesn't matter WHO he's with...if he sees me leave, he freaks.
    Anonymous

• Use a sling or other carrier. Your baby is just telling you how much she loves and needs you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my son does the same thing, but i think its the fact that he spends most of his time with me and has gotten used to being with me all the time so when I leave I take him with me and my dh understands but it takes time and once baby starts being around other people then he'll get used to you leaving once in awhile
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010