Why is it OKAY to be disrespectful?

I don't expect people to agree with my beliefs, and I certainly don't agree with ALL of the beliefs of others. But I just see having a basic level of respect for other religions, holy/sacred places, items and people, and all that goes with them as just a normal decent thing.

Why is it that people see respect of others beliefs as a "no-biggie?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I see on here,its the nutjob posts that people have problems with. The end of times posts crack me up! I know, I know, Jesus is coming,I'll have egg on my face when that day comes then I guess....
    Anonymous

• It comes from all angles. There are nut jobs, and disrespectful morons on all ends of the spectrum.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I dont have a problem with other people's beliefs..just leave me out of it. I am well aware of the whole God thing & I know the location of several churches if I decided I need to go. I dont need someone telling me I am going to their hell or I am morally bankrupt because I dont believe in what they believe in. I dont tell you that you are stupid for believing in God so dont tell me how awful I am for not believing it.
    Anonymous

• It's not OKAY to be disrespectful. Sorry you are experiencing that. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Its funny in my daily life I only know a few people who dont respect other beliefs sacred places/things and those are the extreme people (my inlaws lol), everyone else is very respectful we all are considerate and have a basic understanding of how things and palces should be treated and if we dont know we ask or we dont touch.

Personally I wouldnt throw out the objects of another religion, I would treat them with respect and give them a proper place in the right home it would bother me to do otherwise, but my inlaws would burn anything they dont understand or dont want to understand without blinking an eye.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It's not okay to be disrepectful, no matter what you choose to believe - or not believe. Of course, we could do a C.S.Lewis thing and talk about how all basic ethics (it's not okay to steal, it's not okay to murder, etc.) derive from some sort of higher being... ;)
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 2:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I shouldn't be OK... however, some people take respect to mean acceptance and agreement. And, on line, it is so much easier to say things that one would never say, or do IRL.

And, there are those select few who have no respect for anyone who isn't exactly like them, so in the end... I suppose best to ignore.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Respect seems to mean different things to people.. I think many confuse respect with tolerance.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• basic level of respect....
    ~
    Totally agree. If it means anything, I think your comments are respectful of others.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• WHat is disrespectful to you may not be disrespectful to others. Why is your definition of respect correct?
    Anonymous