When did you first start taking baby out and about??

Hi Girls,
This is my first baby, and I am an only child, so I really don't know much about newborns, so forgive me if this questions seems ignorant.

I would like to know when it would be appropriate to start taking the baby out to places such as the mall, target, restaurants etc...

I don't want the baby exposed too soon. Of course I would keep him well covered, and I wouldnt dare let anyone touch him or hold him. Newborns are just so little and fragile I am concerned that its too soon to be going out with him.

He is 5 weeks old... Thank you for your advice!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 2:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was out with my oldest when she was a few weeks old.

#2 and #3 were out earlier than she was though - #3 was out 2 days after she was born.

I'd recommend a wrap or sling, people usually hesitate to invade your personal space to touch baby when they're snuggled so close - I wrapped with #3, wish I had it with the first two.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I had my son on Sunday, we went out the first time today. Just a quick trip out which included running into Wal-Mart. I've never stayed in with my newborns, with my first we took him by Wal-Mart, where my husband worked at the time, on the way home from the Hospital.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You can do it now. As you said I would still avoid pass-the-baby situations (like people tend to want to do at places like church). But he should be alright running errands with you now. I'd keep it limited. Baby is ready to sleep through your meals in restaurants and run errands with you!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I took my 1st out 2 days after he was born, and my second six days after, i think its just whenever you are comfortable, they are totally fine to go though, my husband went out 8 hours after he was born. kids are tough
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Whenever you feel ready! I liked to wear mine in a sling when we went out in those first few months. This kept baby happy and also made it hard and awkward for strangers to just reach out and touch the baby (because some do).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thanks girls! I feel a little better now about taking him out :) I am so bored at home! Its gonna be nice to just walk around the mall for a bit.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My son was born on a saturday,I was released on Sunday and that same day we went grocery shopping and a week later we were at the mall.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Depending on how old your first one is when you have your second, you may find that you have to take the baby out right away! There are times when you can't avoid it....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I think I waited a few weeks with my first...she was born in October, so it was very cold when she was born. My son however, was born in june, and it was very nice out when he was born...we actually took him out the day we came home from the hospital. We had some things we had to do.
    Anonymous

• We went out to dinner when she was four days old. Out to lunch and a short trip to the mall at a week old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2010