My daughter is behind on talking any advice??

i have a 2 yr old that doesnt put 2 or more words together. she can say some words theres just not alot we can understand from her. Were on a waiting list to start speech therepy but what else can i do at home. I take her around and point out everything in the house. I read to her. And i have these word flash cards but she just gets frustrated and throws a fit. Would being aroung more toddlers help? Any advice on boosting her langueage skills?

silentwolf

Asked by silentwolf at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Read aloud to her daily.
    Teach her a few American Sign Language signs just to reduce her frustration over communication.
    Try not to worry. A lot of kids don't talk well at 2; they're just late talkers and usually end up catching up as they get older. :)
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 2:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with D. Mary. Read to her often. Some kids are just slow to talk I'm sure she'll catch up, but I would get her hearing checked just to make sure that she is able to hear well, if she can't that could cause delayed speaking. She probably can hear fine but I would just in case.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• some kids just keep their words in longer, even though they have a vocabulary. my 1st son was/ is almost a perfectionist, and hates to make mistakes. my second son was nearly 3 before he really started talking. i have 2 yo twins now, and one talks much better than the other. kids are just different. does your child communicate with you non verbally? some kids wont talk if they don't really have to. does she understand what you say to her?
    try not to worry, and remember all kids are different!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and I still have a hard time understanding him most of the time. I enrolled him into a learning center 2 days a week and it's already seeming to help some, I'm starting to understand some of what he is saying. I'm surprised you're doing speech therapy, did your doctor recommend this? I asked my sons doctor about that and he didn't think it was necessary and wanted to wait and see where he is when he turns 3. If this isn't your first child, that could be it too especially if an older sibling is doing the talking for her. I think it helps a lot for learning for a child to be around more kids their age. I would try a preschool or play group before I wasted time and money on speech therapy. You would get more out of a preschool too than you would speech therapy. It's worth a shot.

Anonymous

• I think it's great that you are starting speech therapy! Did you have a developmental evaluation by early intervention in your area? If so, they will provide speech therapy for free, or very low cost. Teaching her sign language may help, depending on the reason for the speech delay but it's definitely worth a shot. Whether or not being around other children may help will depend on the reason for the delay as well - but try everything!

Answer by missanc at 3:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Talk to her constantly, about everything

Answer by rkoloms at 4:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• the dr. recommended a speech and hearing evaluation. the speech therepist said she would recomend some therepy with a professional. I havent gotten her hearing checked yet because she had ear infections earlier this month and the dr. said to wait til that cleared up to make the hearing appointment. i know all kids learn at a different pace but i believe my mother in law blames me for this delay. Im a stay at home mom and she says my daughter should already be speaking and since she is not im doing something wrong. I read to her 5 and 6 times a day i spend an hour going through picture flash cards ive taught her a few signs. I talk to her alot. i dont know. My hubbys family just makes me feel like its my fault for the delay. This is my first child so im doing my best.
    silentwolf

Answer by silentwolf at 9:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My son is the same way. The only phrase he says is bye bus. He's learning spanish too though. We have a teacher that comes once a week to help with excercises. Before she came he wasnt saying anything. First she started with a few signs such as more and please and all done, after he mastered the signs he then spoke those words. Now everday we sit in front of the mirror and I make him watch my lips and he trys to imitate. I think it all depends on how your daughter learns best. Also when we first started out with the teacher coming he couldnt pick objects out a book and say them such as ball and car and dog, now he's tell me what they are on his own. I think that worked best for us. I rarely used flashcards. Good luck!
    mateosmami2007

Answer by mateosmami2007 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Here is what I went through and my years of speech therapy. I hardly talked when I was younger. I had ear infections often. The words I said came out mumbled. The reason they came out mumbled is because with my constant ear infections, that is how I heard it. So during the time when you really learn speech, I heard it mumbled. When I started Kindergarten all the way to 3rd grade I went through speech therapy at school. It was so bad that when I would call my friend down the street, I would have to give my mom the phone cause she couldnt understand me. I also had a horrible stuttering problem on top of it. I do not stutter anymore nor do I mumble. The speech therapist was not sure I was ever going to speak correctly. First thing I would do is to stay on top of her ears. Make sure those infections are getting all the way clear. Keep reading and doing what you are doing. It sounds good.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010