How do I breastfeed in the Peanut Shell sling?

I have a peanut shell sling. It is similar to the Jelly Bean or Munchkin sling. Anyway, I was told you can breastfeed in it, but I cannot figure out how. Has anyone breastfed in this sling? If so, what hold did you use? I have a 3 week old infant girl and I would really like to try to breastfeed in the sling. It would help while we are out and about to be able to just breastfeed without having to take her out and find a place to sit down. You know what I mean? Any help would be great!

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 2:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pull you shirt down and then pull the fabric of the sling down enough to expose your breast for her and then latch her on. Practice at home. Sometimes you have to pull the sling down under her head too to get the positioning right, and then either pull it back up, or wait until she's asleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Okay, but what hold do I use?
    CaptivatedByGod

Answer by CaptivatedByGod at 4:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• While I don't prefer pouch-style carriers for newborns, especially not for nursing, I've used a pouch and I like the vertical hold, with the baby upright... then when baby wants to nurse we tip him to a slight diagonal so that he can reach the breast. This may be very doable in a Peanut Shell, which looks like a stretchier pouch.

I've been bfing and bwing in a variety of different carriers and have never felt comfortable nursing in a sling in a cradle hold. Definitely check out thebabywearer for articles on bfing while bwing, and if you don't find an answer that works for you, go to the forums there -- tons of knowledgable mamas who will be able to help you out.

And keep in mind that nursing in a carrier takes a bit of practice - especially if you're still getting used to breastfeeding. Dont' get discouraged, you'll figure it out and it's worth it!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The cradle hold is best position to nurse a small infant look at some videos on YouTube. Mine Is a ring sling from rockin baby. & i love it specially wen im shopping..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 5:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2010