Would you keep it?

About 2 weeks ago I came home to a large box sitting right outside of our garage...it took us a few minutes to find the very small postage sticker and to realize it was a microfiber sofa that was supposed to go to a home about a block or 2 from our place.
My husband said he has called the fed ex people twice now to tell them of the mix up and to have someone come by and pick it back up but no one has ever shown up for it.
He also said he went to the address on the box to let them know but noone was home.
We have no way to take it to them because it wont fit in our vehicle.

My hubby seems to think that since no one is coming to get it and since he went to the owners home that he has done his part and that now we should keep it.
I think he should call fed ex again and go back to the owners place and at least leave a note telling them we have it.
I just wouldnt feel right keeping it but hubby seems to feel different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• your right. atleast leave them a note and then if they don't get back, then who knows. But i wouldn't be so quick to keep it.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 2:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• *continued*
    Hubby thinks that since its been close to 3 weeks now that the other folks have probabaly been sent a replacement or something but im not so sure of that, what if they didnt have insurace and are out a lot of money because of it...I just feel bad having it here but he seems to think its some sort of sign since we really need a new sofa but I dont want to come by a new sofa steeling it from someone else!
    Anonymous

• Your husband's stance is dishonest. You didn't pay for it and you shouldn't keep it. A simple note on the intended recipient's door with your contact info should solve the problem.

Ask your husband - if it was a bike that was delivered and your child wanted to keep it, would you let him?
    Anonymous

• The guilt of keeping it would drive me insane... I agree to put a note, if no one comes by in the next week, keep the couch, but be prepared to give it back if they show up for it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• *OP*
    Something else that bothers me is that its been so long and now if we leave a note I dont want them to think we were intentionally trying to keep it, I know thats not what *I* was trying to do anyways...I dont want them to get angry because its been here all this time...ugh, its just a crappy situation.
    Anonymous

• If you receive an unsolicited product from a reputable company and it looks like an honest error, contact the company via mail, email or phone and let them know that you are giving them three weeks to send a courier to pick up the package. While you’re not required to do this by law, it is the nice thing to do. If the company doesn’t send someone to get the package, the product is yours.

Anonymous

• If you know the persons address Id leave a note. Its possible they already got a replacement but I wouldnt want something Id feel was stolen in my house. I dont think I could ever realy enjoy it knowing I took it. It isnt like taking someones newspaper, which to me is just as wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I just nagged hubby again to go by and leave a note or tell the folks we have the sofa in our garage, he just went to get gas so HOPEFULLY he will stop and let them know!
    Anonymous

• I woudln't have as guilty a conscience over the Fed Ex people but for your neighbors a few streets over, they could be waiting for this couch and now dealing with the endless hassles of trying to straighten things out. I doubt they would be upset to hear you have it, even if it has been a few weeks, and you can easily explain that you had been trying to deal wtih Fed Ex. If they have already gotten a replacement and you haven't heard anything from Fed Ex then you might just have a new couch. I guess the easiest thing to ask yourself is what you would want or hope someone else would do if they received your couch accidentally?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't keep it. I would try going to the people's house again and leaving a note. And if they wonder why you had it so long just say you kept contacting Fed Ex and got nowhere so you finally contacted them directly. Since your husband isn't doing it, why can't you go to their house and do it? Couches aren't cheap. That could be a $1000 couch that someone used their refund on and your husband thinks it's perfectly acceptable to keep it? It's stealing is what it is.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010