I don't understand...what is the deal with marijuana?

I have never smoked it, even when I was a teenager...I never liked the thought of being out of control for a second. I was always embarrassed that my father smoked it. I do get that some people are proponents for medicinal marijuana, but I also think that there are better ways to manage pain (please correct me if I'm wrong). Plus I don't get the whole smoke in the lungs thing...I know it's a "natural" smoke but isn't smoke inhalation what kills most people in house fires?

So please explain to me if you have the time (or inclination) what is the big draw to smoking marijuana? I am not trying to be offensive at all, just trying to understand what the big deal is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i dont get it either
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I dont get it either, other then the fact it is illegal and some people like breaking the law, knowing they wont get caught. I bet if it was legal no one would smoke it as much because it just wouldnt seem as fun.
    Anonymous

• It relaxes you, really makes you think ( REALLY think about things), its fun, and its just a good way to wind down. and much safer than alcohol. now I know that a ton of people are going to come here and reply that they dont need marijuana to "relax" and "think" etc., but dont knock it till you try it :)
    Anonymous

• Im not for or against it but some people just simply like the high they get from it. Its just like understanding why people like cocaine or alcohol. I guess you could call it an "accquired" taste. lol
    MommyMcClary

Answer by MommyMcClary at 3:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Well, I can understand not wanting to do anything that makes you feel "out of control" but I honestly don't understand why anyone would stand in the way of people getting relief from pain or other symptoms just because marijuana is illegal. If it works it works...and some say it works better than substitutes for nausea from chemo and some other things. if that is the case, let those people use it without fear!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I can understand how some people like the effects of alcohol, THC, nicotine, caffeine... They are mood altering substances. They are habit forming and some are extremely addictive.

But smoke has carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide which make everyone sick and poisoned. Smoking seems like a lousy delivery method.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I personally think it should be legalized, even though I don't use it. Marijuana, as far as drugs go, is a LOT less harmful than any of the pharmaceutical drugs, and alcohol. It's not the same smoke as cigarette smoke, so it's actually less damaging than that too. People who are stoned are incredibly irritating to me (I don't do well with the whole mellow thing), but they are never violent like on some of the other drugs, or alcohol. In addition, if you make it legal, the appeal of it to teenagers will actually go down. Trust me on this one, I grew up on Holland, where it's been legal for a LONG time, and neither I nor any of my friends were ever interested in it. Did it once, to see what it was like, and that's about it.

As for using it to manage pain... It's not just for pain, it also helps the nausea, allowing people to actually eat, something they wouldn't be able to do otherwise. So if it works, why not?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i don't know what the hype is about either. i tried it more than a few times in high school & never felt "high". i always felt normal. i don't know if i was doing it wrong or if i just have a naturally high tolerance, but i never felt any different. but that was just my own experience,i'm sure others have better/worse stories. anyway, i've never touched it again since i got pregnant with my first daughter.

on the other hand, my husband is a medicinal MJ patient. MJ is a better alternative to him taking vicodin & other prescription painkillers that leave him hanging over a toilet the whole day vomitting & unable to function. pharmeceutical drugs aren't for everyone.
    Anonymous

• It relaxes you. Plain and simple.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't understand it either...I tried it one time in my life..and I was 28 years old. At first, it had no affect on me so I kept on trying to hang with the "big dogs" and smoked the 2nd huge blunt that was passed around then all of a sudden I got dizzy...then I started feeling very paranoid like everyone was talking about me and making fun of me. Then I felt like I was talking out loud all the thoughts in my head and everyone "knew" that I "knew" they were talking about me, lol. It was an awful experience for me and I will never ever EVER do it again,lol.
    But I have asked that question often to the pot smokers out there,especially after my horrid experience with it. I guess its different for differnt people and it relaxes many people, takes away tension,anxiety and makes them at ease. I think many people that are unoffically diagnosed with ADD and stuff like that actually benefit from it.
    Anonymous