any drs or nurses out there.i need help!!!!!asap

dd was just diagnosed with strep wich became scarlet fever....she is itching all over...does any one know of anything she can put on the rsh ..we got cortizone but she said it stings???the rsh is starting to peel...

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• You could try putting her in an oatmeal bath. Also, Aveeno has several oatmeal based products; perhaps they have a cream?

Disclaimer: not a nurse
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP___not a nurse but good info..just remembered that the pharmicist at cvs talked about aveeno...thanks...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I am not too familiar with Scarlet Fever but I looked it up and found this website:

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/bacterial/scarlet-fever.html

It says that oral antihistamines or calamine lotion to relieve the itch of rash.
    Just to be safe I would talk to the pharmacist and get their opinion on it.

I hope she will feel better soon!
    AtillaTheHun

Answer by AtillaTheHun at 3:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I recommend Benedryl tablets and cream. That rash itches like no other. If she gets the cream on the outside and the tablet inside, she will be too sleepy to notice the rash. LOL That's what i did in college. I slept for several days with that medicine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• or how about calling your dr instead of wasting time on here
    Mommy_Jenn

Answer by Mommy_Jenn at 3:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• calamine lotion (not caladryl)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I completely agree with Mommy Jenn - call your doctor's office. The call is free, and they should have a simple answer.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 4:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• omg if its starting to peel poor baby call the doc right now and say what is happening to the nurse reception, whoever to get their input. good luck and until; then try wet cool washcloths on the badly effected areas, peeling skin can feel like a burn and that will cool it for the moment.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You need to go to the ER. Sarlett Fever has the potential for more complications that strep. I have a family member that died of Scarlett Fever in her 20's.
    Anonymous

• I am assumeing that if she has been diagnosed that she has already seen a doc and theytperscribed her the cortizon. NOt much will help with the iching, but a good moisturizing cream will ease the rash and five a bit of comfort. IF she is up for a nice bath that will help, then instead of drying her off first, smother her in moisturizer first then pat or dab her skin with the towel to dry.

I'm not a nurse, but I know a thing or two. ... oh its also very importat for her to drink lots of fluids...lots.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2010