Surgery for my 7 year old

My daughter is scheduled to have her tonsils and adenoids removed plus have a turb reduction on April 7th. She stops breathing 8-10 times per hour and her oxygen levels fall to the low 80's when in deep sleep. Anyone I have talked to so far has had nothing but horror stories for me. Throwing up blood, missing a month of school, infections. Is all this pretty normal or can it go fairly smooth? I know to prepare for the worst but is there anyone that has had the procedure without alot of issues?

formykids373

Asked by formykids373 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Health

• It absolutely can go smoothly. I guess it depends on what your definition of smooth is. I would expect her to be out of school for 7-10 days as the norm. And it will hurt but there will be pain meds. And she can eat soft cold things, I'm sure they have told you some of that preoperatively. Try to stay positive, mommy!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• it can definately go smoothly. I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out when I was 11,my throat was really sore but that was about it,but they will give you pain meds to give her.
    luv_my_babyboy

Answer by luv_my_babyboy at 6:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My oldest had hers out when she was not yet 3. Picture perfect recovery. My 3rd had hers out when she was just 4, for sleep apnea. her recovery was slightly harder - only because she refused to take her pain meds and wanted real food! My hubby had the same plus some sinus stuff done when he was...30 or 31, his dad had it all done and then some when he was almost 60, my dad had it done right before he turned 50, and they all recovered fine. As long as you follow instructions, don't let her eat stuff she's not supposed to, don't let her goof off, etc, just kind of baby her and stay on top of the pain, she'll do fine!
    Anonymous