Is this a habit or something to be concerned about?

My 7 month old daughter had been just consistently opening and closing her hand. She also moves her whole arm up and down, like she's patting things... but she never does these at the same time.

I was just wondering if this is normal or if it's something maybe to make a dr appt for to talk to her pediatrician. I'm more worried about the opening and closing of the hand than the patting motion... but figured I'd get other mom's input because she's my first and I haven't been around kids this age in a long time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it seems normal to me, because they start discovering thier hands and motions they can make with thier bodies...
    there's a great website that i subscribe to that gives you weekly updates of the development of babies up until 3-4 years I believe...
    www.babycenter.com
    I subscribe to all the weekly updates with all of my kiddos, and it tells of development, milestones, games to play that are age appropriate etc...REALLY informative!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'm going to say it's normal - they're still learning that their hands are attached to their bodies and can do things on demand.

I remember thinking my son was on track with his development when he started to clap around 9 months.
    Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics says about development at this age. If you're concerned, call your pediatrician or as at your next visit.

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/pages/Cognitive-Development-4-to-7-Months.aspx
    http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/pages/Developmental-Milestones-7-Months.aspx
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 4:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Normal. My 1 year old does that. She does all sorts of weird things with her arms and legs. They don't even know what they are at that age!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Normal exploration!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I think its normal, my son is also 7 months and they are starting to understand textures and thats why they do so much movement with their hands and feet because they are starting to figure out that things feel different, my son does that too and is very curious , he has to touch everything
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2010