Do you get your kids physicals every year?

I only go the years that she needs booster shots. She is 8 now and i dont want to go to the doctor just to be going every year. Sometimes I think I should but it seems useless to take a day off, drive one hour to doctor for well check just to be exposed to a bunch of germs in the waiting room.

Wondering if I am the only one who skips physical unless needed for sports or shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• After age five, our ped sees the kids every two years, unless there is a concern of the parent. I think it is okay not to see the doc every year as long as they are going to the doc when they are sick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Nope... i dont need too. and if im going to get bashed oh well. I do not vaccinate and im not going to waste my precious time, the doctors or my insurance to go to a office so they can weigh and measure them when i can do it at home. my kids are healthy
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Sure do. There are so many things constantly changing in the world of pediatric medicine. It gives us the opportunity to ask questions we normally don't have a chance to when we're there for an acute issue (such as ear infections/sore throats).
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 4:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• We do when its shots time too. Our son has autism and any doctors visit is a power struggle!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yep, but there's a long history of bad health from both my family and my husbands and I just want my kids to get into the habit of getting a yearly physical so that when they are adults they'll continue to do so which cuts down on the risk of a number of potentially fatal health problems going unnoticed.
    Anonymous

• I do. It's a requirement for having medicaid. If you don't take your kids to the visit you can lose your medicaid. My oldest has ADHD and I can't afford his meds without medicaid. My youngest gets ear infections at least once a month so he needs it too.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yes I do take them every year. We go also. I feel it's important.
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 5:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My kids are all teenagers now and we've all done yearly physicals. I think it's important for the doctor to be very familiar with them and their health history in case something does go wrong. Also, isn't that the point of wellness care? Being proactive in taking care of our health so it doesn't turn into something major? BTW, all of my kids are very healthy and have only had minor things like bumps and bruises, one had tonsils out, etc. Get them to age 18 very healthy and they'll have a better chance at being healthy as they get older.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Every year, yes.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010