I am 2 weeks from delivering my second child and my 3 year old has started using the bathroom on his floor. I am wondering if one is related to the other. I have tried to talk to him but he just says he doesn't want to talk to me. We have tried to reassure him that he is special and have even been showering him with love and gifts, so that he will not feel left out. I am not sure what to do. Anyone that has advice I would appreciate it.

Lindy022482

Asked by Lindy022482 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Steps backward especially in potty training and behavior are not uncommon when a new baby comes home. If there are lots of changes and talk about the new baby it could certainly begin beforehand. Try a sticker chart with prizes..every so many stickers..you earn something. (matchbox cars, bubbles, small stuff). Three is way too young for potty consequences. Set a timer and begin taking him every 30n or 40 minutes. Don't ask him if he needs to go..tell him 'it's time to go potty" If he says no, or I don't feel my potty coming tell him "you have to try. There have been lots of accidents lately. Accidents make our room stinky. At the same time..lots of one on one time. gifts won't do much. He wants and needs YOUR undivided attention. When the baby gets here tell him you need him to be Mommies special helper. Let him get bibs or diapers or small toys for you. Sit him beside you and read to him while feeding the baby.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have a 3 and a half year old, 23 month old, and a 2 month old. I am trying to potty train the oldest for the 3rd time. She used the potty when she was 18 months old then 2 months later I had her brother and she went back to diapers. Then after I had her baby sister this past December she went back to pull ups again. My pediatrician has told me to be patient and let her start using th potty again when she's ready. She's had a lot of changes in her life.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters. As long as there are no other symptoms of anything. When my youngest was turning 3 she was almost completely potty trained and I had her sister. She started peeing everywhere all the time. It was so frustrating. Course in her case when the baby was ten weeks old the 3 year old was diagnosed with type one diabetes. Got her sugar under control and the potty training came back.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010