How can I get my kids to quite hitting each other?

They are 10, 5, and 3. They hit and kick each other all the time. The 5 yro's fav answer is "because he was annoying me". No, I don't hit them, so that's not where they are learning it. Any suggestions? And/or any suggestions on punishments for this behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• When you figure it out, let me know. Mine are roughly the same age. And BTW, that is not a "learned behavior" it is human nature... Kids hit, period. When mine do, the get to stand in the corner and hold a penny to the wall with their forehead.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My mom would make my younger sister and I sit on the couch and hug each other for 10 minutes when we were hitting and kicking each other. It always worked, we started out being angry and ended up laughing and making up by the time our ten minutes was up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You have to decide the consequence and tell them from now on hitting, kicking, punching for ANY reason is NOT OKAY. This is what will happen if you do (state consequence). The apply it every single time without fail. They will play you till the cows come home if they figure out you aren't being consistant in your consequences. When mine were 10 and under they stood in the corner on a tape X nose on a chalk malk on the wall, hands behind the back. (10 yr old..10 mins) After ten or 12 my boys used to fight like crazy. So I finally did what my Mother did. I made them stand in front of me and punch one another in the arm as hard as they could for 5 or 10 mins. When they say "nooooooo we don't want to. You say Yes, yopu did you were fighting. The last time I had to do that my oldest was 16 and my youngest was 12. They both had bruised arms. They di not fight again, physically.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Your guess is as good as mine. My 8 year old and my 2 year old are always hitting each other.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Well Idon't have this issue, so I'm not sure if my advice is worth anything. But if any of my kid hit the other, they would recive a pretty good spanking, then quit a bit of time with their nose in the corrner.

Yes I spank, and my kids do not hit eachother or anyone eles.... must be a fluke!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• They're kids - that's what they do. I have two older sisters and the middle one tormented me until I was big enough to take her...then she stopped. As long as they aren't doing any permanent damage to each other, I wouldn't get too worked up. Your reaction is part of why they are doing it.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010