my baby wakes one time during the night......

and i want to stop this habit. online there are several suggestions but not sure which to try. should i let her sleep it out or not? what have you done that works?

i really need to start getting my sleep back as feel i'm about to go crazy from lack their off.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what I see in your profile, baby is 15 weeks...still months early for any sleep training methods. Even their advocates say NOT to use them before soix to nine months.

And at this age, one wakeup a night is darned good sleep. Most babies this age wake SEVERAL times a night. And that still may happen; sleep patterns change through year one.

You won't like hearing this, Melody...but if you're getting three hours in a row, you're getting about as good as any mother can expect! Because it *is* always SOMETHING that will keep you from ever getting eight straight again. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 5:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• First of all, how old is your baby? Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding, because that does make a difference.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Your baby will sleep through the night when he/she is ready to.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Once a night is pretty good for 15 wks. Mine didn't sleep for more than 3 hours in a row until she was nearly 6 mos. old! Welcome to the life of a newborn. It sucks.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• At 15 weeks she only wakes once a night??? Consider yourself very VERY lucky! My 18 month old still occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night... Welcome to motherhood, where sleeping 8 hours in a row (or in my case, past 5:30am) are only a distant memory... :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It is possible. Don't let these mom's fool you. My LO was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks old, and 12 hours straight by 12 weeks and by 6 mos she was dong 14 hours through the night. If takes patience. You can use any method you want. If you know that the baby is full and isn't really wet then let them figure it out. I let my LO figure it out on her own. If I knew she was fed and changed I would put her back to bed and she would figure out that she needed to go back to sleep. But if you are only having one waking a night then you are on track for a good sleeper. I wish you luck and if you need any more help just message me and I will help answer any questions that you have. By the way I have a 20 mo old who sleep 14-15 hours at night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It is the norm for babies to wake up AT LEAST once. It is NOT the common for infantss to sleep 12-14 hours; occasionally an older baby might -- but it is still not that common. I personally would be horrified if my infant slept that long! Babies have very tiny stomachs and need to eat frequently. That a is a scary amount of time to go without eating or waking for a diaper change especially for a breastfed baby (formula fed too). NOt to mention that if you are breastfeeding that's a recipe for mastitis.

If your baby is only waking once, consider that HEALTHY. Five hours is considered a sleep through. I warn you that if you mess with something that isn't broken It might very likely backfire on you and cause you both to get less sleep. Not all babies respond well to having their normal sleep pattern forced out of wack. Even adults wake at least once to pee, turn over, for thirst etc. Babies wake too.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• A baby that wakes to eat, or to be changed, or for comforting and then goes back to sleep (and doesn't try to stay up to play) is perfectly fine and IS a good sleeper.

I know it is hard, but parenting extends to night time too. Sleeping patterns change a lot in the first year due to growth spurts, milestones, and teething. 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is nice...but isn't in the mommy contract :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My DD is 11 months old an sill wakes up 3 times a night, it all depends on the baby. I would be soooo happy to be getting up only once a night.
    Anonymous

• instead of comlaining you should thank god that its only 1 x and stop griping about your sleep. What did you think a baby would do?

Hell my kid never slept through the night until 3 yrs.
    Anonymous