Did you or would you have a Doula?

Did anybody have one and if so would you recommend it even if you have a DH?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a doula with my first, because I was very unsure about how everything was going to work out. I did not have one again. She kept encouraging me to keep it "natural" and my baby ended up very nearly dying. It wasn't her fault of course, just a very bad experience. I also had a very unsupportive ex, but even knowing that I didn't have a doula with any of my subsequent pregnancies (I'm pregnant with #5)

Answer by missanc at 5:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i think doulas are a great idea. i'm having a doula-in-training attend my birth.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• oh, btw, my husband attended my first birth and i didn't have a doula. my husband will also attend this birth. (it will be in june or julY)
    Stefanie83

• I would for a hospital birth, not for a homebirth. I personally do not feel that it is needed, but you might feel diferently. And yes, even if you have a very supportive husband, it is good to have a woman who is experienced to help HIM and you as a couple though your birth. A good doula does not replace the husband, but helps the couple together.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'll have DH, my midwife, and the midwife's apprentice so I think I'll have plenty of help. If we were doing a hospital birth, I'd hire a doula because I would want a bigger team helping me and translating panicked-doctor language for DH.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I think they are wonderful but i dont have money to pay for one. So i just have a midwife and my husband by my side when the time comes!
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 6:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My hubby was a wonderful birth partner for me, but I think next time around, we're going to get a doula. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about doulas from people. I think it would've been nice for my hubby to have gotten a break here and there and to have someone (besides myself) who had some experience with this.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I LOVED my doula! She was awesome, helpful and my DH & I plan to use her again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, I would not. That is my choice tho. If you want one then get one. I prefer family.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think it's a nice idea if you need the support. I knew my husband would be there, backing me up & helping me remember why I don't need the drugs-because my body knows how to birth a baby!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2010