open marriage-

do you have a open marriage or know of someone that does? one's I've seen don't usually last-
anyone know of one that did?
Some people swing with certain rules, like some things are OK and some things aren't. Like back-rubs and kissing is OK, some everything is OK-
anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't know anyone with an open marriage, but I guess people generally like to keep that on the DL. :P
    Anonymous

• OP- ok, guess I'm old- what is DL?
    Anonymous

• Down Low :)

In other words, they don't make that information public knowledge. Personally, I don't share well with others, so there's no way I'd ever consent to being in an open marriage.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP- sure that everyone who thinks they have a monogamous relationship really does? I know they exist, but I'm starting to wonder just how common they are-
    Anonymous

• I have one. It's not always perfect but it works for us and I won't change it.
    Anonymous

• back rubs and kissing? That's it? nope, we have sex with other people if we want and we tell the other one what we're going to do. if the other wants to come be a part of it, that's fine. if not the other knows we are not going to leave the relationship over having sex with someone else
    Anonymous

• I know a couple that has been married for almost 26 years and have had an open marriage the whole time. It works for them. The dealing with others has seemed to fade over the last several years and they are becoming more monogamous.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't know anyone who is having one right now. I did know one couple years ago, that she was/is bi and she would dally with other women, and occasionally he was involved, too, but they stopped that some time ago, and it was only briefly. Personally, my boyfriend and I could never have an open relationship. Neither of us shares well with others, and neither of us can stand the thought of the other being with someone else. We're not overly jealous in terms of no opposite sex friends, or in a "if I can't have you, nobody can" kind of way, but we are jealous in terms of "you're mind and I refuse to share you."The one couple that I knew has been married for 33 yrs, and is still happily married, but all the ones I've ever heard about, they generally didn't last.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• yes, and we are very happy together. its not like we brodcast it though, most people dont. You say most open marriages don't work, well most marriages don't work period, and a good magority of the ones that I know that stay married, stay married but are misrable with eachother. I would say that out of all of my friends who married, most of them are on their second or third marriages, and the rest are dealing with some heavy issues (affairs), to be honest, out of all our friends, me and my hubby may be the only ones that are happy in our marriage right now. It works for us, and thats all I care about.
    Anonymous