What are some natural ways (no juice!) I can get my baby to poop?

He's 4 months, EBF, and is acting like he has an upset stomach. He hasn't pooped today and usually he goes 3-6 times a day. I know it's "okay" for a bf baby to go a while without pooping...I understand that so you don't need to tell me he's fine... but MY baby usually poops several times a day ad today he hasn't and he's been really fussy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• â– Water. Offer your baby a daily serving of water in addition to usual feedings. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters). Try more or less as you gauge your baby's response to the water.
    â– Fruit juice. If water doesn't seem to help, offer your baby a daily serving of apple, prune or pear juice in addition to usual feedings. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters), and experiment to determine whether your baby needs more or less.
    ■High-fiber baby foods. If your baby is eating solid foods, try high-fiber baby foods — such as barley cereal and pureed pears or prunes. Avoid rice cereal.

You may also want to apply a small amount of water-based lubricant to your baby's anus to ease the passage of hard stools. Don't use mineral oil, laxatives or enemas to treat infant constipation.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My friend's baby went from pooping 6 times a day to suddenly not pooping. They took him to the Dr. and they said it was not a big deal and not to worry until he hadn't pooped for 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• try bicycling his legs and push them to his chest to push out the poop. Increase his feedings so he gets more fluid. good luck!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• For a 4 month old breastfed baby, the best, most natural thing is to breastfeed as much as possible. But, as you already know, it is normal for a bf baby not to poop very often, and trust me, they can and will change their pooping habits just to mess with you ;) Back to the problem...breastmilk acts as a laxative in most babies; just let him nurse as much as he wants, and if he is not actually in real pain, ie screaming, pulling his legs up, and generally making everyone's life miserable nonstop, he probably just changed things up on you. DD has done both in the past 15 months. The only thing you can do is breastfeed and wait it out. If he starts acting like he's in pain, not fussy, but in pain, goes for two + weeks, or you find streaks of blood in his diaper, take him to the doctor.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The first answer works for a NON breastfed baby. For yours...more nursing is indicated.

It may be something other than his bowels that's really bugging him. Four months is time for yet another spurt, and teeth can cause misery too, even if there's nothing to be seen. Any drool or gnawing of hands?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The only natural thing you can do, and the best thing you can do is to just wait. From Is my breastfed baby constipated "there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You should apply vaseline to a thermometer and take a rectal temp. It works 98% of the time.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Do not put a thermometer up ther for that purpose. You can cause damage and not to mention petroleum is not good for anyone. It's okay to bicycle legs and massage a fussy baby and nurse more (make sure the feed is nice and long on one breast per feed for the rich hind milk if your babies goes a while between feeds.)

Other than that...well...just stand back when it does arrive. LOL
    Listen for the warning farts and I would hold the baby over a vessel to avoid a complete outfit change, but that's just me.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Any food whatsoever? I know you said EBF, but just double checking.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Something no one else mentioned that worked for me/my baby(ies) - eat something that normally loosens you up! What would/do you normally eat if you're stopped up? Extra fruit, an orange, apple juice, prune juice, etc - if it helps you, it'll help your baby. It could be something you ate too that gave him a tummy ache - stay away from foods that typically bind you up. If nothing works, call your doctor.
    Anonymous