Kumon or Sylvan

I was thinking of enrolling my kids to a tutor class w/c one would you prefer.

jjfaraon

Asked by jjfaraon at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go with a local tutoring center rather than a national franchise like that. Personally, I think Sylvan has very very very low standards for employees. I hate to say this but... I went to school with someone who was expelled for drug trafficking on campus. He had a fairly sizable marijuana farm in his dormitory. Well, he had 3 semesters of college under his belt and needed a job to pay for his legal problems and Sylvan picked him up as a full time tutor.

I have tutored for a lot of places. I'm currently working with a private company that does supplementary ed for under-achieving public schools. I had to submit to an extensive background check and am subject to random drug screens because I work with public school children.

Don't send your kid somewhere that doesn't do background checks.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Speaking from experience with Sylvan, I loved it. I was enrolled just before I turned 18. I went for almost a year and found it to be a GREAT PLACE! I have considered retaking my ACT just to see how much of a difference it made. In watching my teachers deal with the different ages, they matched each student with the teacher or two that worked well with their personality. I only did the reading program but watching the way they would deal with math and comprehension and the test prep parts, they do a great job all the way around.

I never knew if they did background checks on the teachers but it was a very professional workplace and you couldn't tell the difference. A little pricey but definitely worth it! You can PM me if you have any more questions about Sylvan!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I've done both - and would recommend sylvan over kumon any day

sylvan you have an instructor that helps you with exercises, you share instructor with maybe 2 kids

Kumon you have a booklet of equations that you do over and over - working from basic 1+1 to the more challenging. you're in a big room with a ton of kids and an instructor.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with the first poster that a local tutor may be the best option. I know of people who were underqualified to teach and worked at Sylvan. They were told to lie if any one asked about their teaching certification. Sylvan only pays about $10 an hour so most teachers can do much better tutoring on the side. A teacher will be better qualified and charge you less than Sylvan does.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I used to tutor at a sylvan. The center that I taught at only hired certified teachers, I don't know if that's a corporate-wide policy or not. The benefits I can see of using Sylvan over a teacher is that tutors at Sylvan have a wealth of materials to pull from. A teacher who is tutoring on the side, generally has only the materials that she teachers with that are specific to her grade level. You might want to look at sylvan online, it's considerably less expensive than the centers, I don't have much knowledge of it though, so I can't say how effective it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

•  angryWon't put my child at Kumon because of the pedophiles lurking in there and the many molestation cases there.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/09/norwalk-math-tutor.html

http://www.sgvtribune.com/technology/20111114/victim-13-pleads-in-

bellflower-court-to-give-convicted-molester-what-he-deserves

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=8347625

ExposeMolester

Answer by ExposeMolester at 10:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2014