"my grandkids mom give allergy medicine to make them go to sleep, what can i do?

"my grandkids (3 and 2) mom admited to give the girls allergy medicine to make them go to sleep, what can i do, they dont live with me and dispite all the evidence provided against her in court my son lost custody of the girls"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every night?

I have given my kids (when toddlers) cough meds before a long plane flight.... dr even ok'd it.
    Anonymous

• If she is doing it all the time then I would be concerned. I do it occasionally when I know my LO needs to get sleep but won't be able to due to teething. But my giving it to my LO has been approved by our pediatrician and it is only done in rare instances.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Maybe you can nicely suggest what she could do besides give them medicine to help them get to sleep? Can you ask to give her a hand with helping get the children to bed? I'm not sure if there is much more you can do with out either calling dr. phil on her, or losing your relationship with her.
    Anonymous

• This isn't hurting them. After awhile they will build up a tolerance. I don't agree with the practice,but i have done it on occasion myself.
    Anonymous

• all you can do is call department of children and families, but honestly? if she gave them the right dose, and such...they are not going to investigate. Plus as HIS mom they will think you are holding a grudge, but by all means try! but please, only do this if you genuinely think they are in danger-because if your son lost custody, anad they take these kidds from dil...they could(small chance here but possible) end up in the system. just saying be careful...did you talk to dil about this and the fact that she is morally wrong to do it? its odd she would confide that in yoou yanno? good luck and prayers to the grandkids.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• ok..I hate to sound mean to coala and the first person to answer this question..but just because the doctor oked it doesn't mean you should give your children medicine! For god's sake, step up, be a mom, tell your spose or lover to man/women up, and that kids don't always sleep through the night.

I'm sorry, but i don't think anyone should EVER give their kids drugs to help them get to sleep inless their is a serious problem (with them..not your sleep problem.)
    Anonymous

• I think giving a kid medicine just to make them sleep is not a good idea. Why would you want to risk an overdose and/or the medicine not working when actually needed?

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 6:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• This is one of the reasons that medicenes don't work as well when they're actually needed. We should not be giving kids unnecessary medication. And although it can get really rough when they won't sleep, that's not a good reason to medicate. Hey, why don't you try a shot of whiskey? I've heard that works well, too :(
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 6:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• 1 or 2 isolated instances you cant do anything
    a regular occurance - file a report with cps
    Anonymous

• Stop trying to come up with things to try to help your son's case. HE lost custody of them...and you don't tell us why. If the courts decided she can have them, that is the way things are. It would be better to just accept it,
    Anonymous