How to keep 1 y/o out of dog/cat water?

The cats water can go up high, but the dogs water can't go outside til spring or it'll be frozen outside..

My 1 y/o keeps getting in it! I swear I stand right there and shift my eyes for 2 seconds and he's in it! lol

If it weren't gross I wouldn't care.. but he needs to learn some stuff is off limits.

How do I teach him not to get in it? I have tried saying a firm no, making a loud distracting noise, enticing away with more fun things he usually likes better, and removing him from it repeatedly. As soon as he's back down he's back in the water to repeat til I get mad and put it up for a while. Then he stands under where I put it and whines.

He usually does this while I cook/clean. I know he wants attention but he also plays in it forever if I pretend I don't notice!!

Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a play pen at all? Perhaps you could put your son in there? I have stairs my child won't be allowed to go to until he's like 2 or three..so that's one solution I have. I feel your pain though..I have two big dogs and a cat..the cat isn't allowed to go outside though (long story).
    Btw, though, have you ever thought of getting your dogs a heated water bowl for outside? I don't know if you have any plugs outside, but that might help to.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 6:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP here) P.S. I have really big dogs (75 lbs and 160 lbs) that live in the kitchen mainly. There is no chance of a dog door or anything and there is no where they can get that he can't.. he's smaller than they are and can hide better than they can. lol Putting it up is not an option.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there's anything you can do... I ended up putting a gate with a little cat door in my kitchen, to cordon off the cat food/water area. Of course he figured out how to crawl THROUGH the damn cat door, so I had to figure out some way to make it big enough for the cats to climb through, and small enough for his big head not to fit, heh. As for the dog water... I just gave up and put it up on the counter whenever we're in the kitchen. Nothing I say or do would keep him away from that, and frankly, it's just not worth the battle.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• By the way, my son is 18 months, so I've been dealing with this for a good 8 months now, heh. I actually don't mind the water as much as I mind him eating cat food. That's just disgusting! At one point I figured I'd let him get a mouth full, so he'd figure out that it doesn't taste very good, but noooo.... He was cramming it in there like he hadn't eaten in months! Yuck.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP here) Well, I suppose I could block off my kitchen entirely unless we're in it together? But honestly he can climb pretty well at this point and I think he'd just climb over a gate to get to see his favorite dog. lol

I can put it up when we're in there together.. But he will run in there before me (yes, he can run and fast too) sometimes and just immediately get in it sometimes. I just wash of fhis hands and say no and then he gets right back in it. That's when I put it up. But I just thought maybe he'd be able to learn? lol
    Anonymous

• OP) I'm lucky in regards to the cats. My cats have a small cat door to the (finished) basement. There food and water is downstairs. But my dogs heads won't even fit in the door, so, hahaha.
    Anonymous

• A play pen only works for about 5 minutes before he scales the thing and falls over the edge... lol If I put a really big one in the house it'd take up too much room and then I'd not have anywhere to breathe.

Omg there is such a thing as a --heated water bowl-- ??? HA! I guess that would solve the issue ;) Just put the water bowl outside and they can drink water outside.. The only issue is who is gonna go out in -20 degrees (it's 40 now but sometimes it's -20!) and fill it?! And how would the electric cord not get wet/snow/ice? Hmmm... lol
    Anonymous

• OP) I guess I want baby zen-mental methods. Like I wonder if meditate to ourselves "you will not do this" 4,513 times if they'll magically not do things.

The outdoor heated water bowl is a good idea if we had an enclosed porch. I suppose I could MAKE it a "WATER BOX" so ice/snow etc will not pile atop it. TY heated water bowl person.
    Anonymous

• It snows a lot here too, it's never had a problem with piling on top of it. My dogs drink lots of water, so if snow does get into it, it just melts. I'm not sure but, I live in Washington, it's always pretty nippy , and the cord doesn't seem to have a problem, they are built to be pretty sturdy. Our water bowl is on our porch, so I don't have to go very far..but hey, ti's one soltion right? Best of luck to ya.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 6:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP ) I live in western NY.. I think it might be able to handle a few inches surely.. but we regularly get 3+ feet of snow in a day ;)
    Anonymous