Am i the only 1 who feels extremely guilty making my kids go to bed hungry??

I hear all the time how moms don't want to be short order cooks and make their kids to go bed hungry if they don't eat what's put in front of them. I've done it a few times, and the guilt ate away at me until I was in tears!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• It makes me feel bad sometimes, but if they dont wanna eat what I cook then they really were not that hungry in the first place.
    Anonymous

• I can see why you would feel guilty cause I could never do that to my children. There are many kids in this world who go to bed hungry every single night and my children think god arent one of them. If my three year old does not eat whats on his plate then I know not to make it for him again and try something new next time but I would not force him to eat it I would just find something else he likes. This is my way of parenting though so do what you feel is best but I know my gut feeling and if I feel guilty about something then theres reason to second guess my self. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I don't agree with making a child go hungry. I'm a picky eater and so are my girls so I would never force them to eat something they don't like or go to bed hungry. Its not that hard to whip them up something healthy that they like to eat even if I'm making something else.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 6:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• - never could do it, 54 is now 17 yo and - have never made him go to bed hungry if he didn't like what I made for dinner. A peanut butter sandwich or bowl of cereal were his options when he was younger, now if he doesn't like what I cook he can make his own dinner. However DH is a very picky eater so I rarely make one thing the same way for all of us. That also made it unfair in my mind to tell DS eat what I make or go hungry when he sees me making something different for DH.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It's called laziness. Make something else...
    Anonymous

• You know from the time I was young if we didn't like what was infront of us, we knew where the PB&J was. If your kid's not old enough to make himself a sandwhich, he's not old enough to go to bed hungry. Anyways just an idea, you don't have to a short order cook or send your kid to bed hungry
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OOOPS 54 should be DS I hit the alt button not the shift! LOL
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If it happened a lot, I might try a new approach. Given the frequency it happens in our house, I don't feel bad. I don't make anything the kids absolutely cannot stand, but it's not pizza and burgers every night. Sometimes we must have real food.
    Anonymous

• yeah, I feel bad, but I feel bad when they are in time out too. But its the rules I set. They eat what is given or they wait till next meal. I refuse to waist food. Millions of children die every year because they dont' have enough to eat. We as americans are extreamly waistful and we teach our children that eating what they like is a right, instead of the simple fact that they are very blessed. One night hungry will not kill them, or cause horrible damage. most lessons in life are hard, I refuse to allow my children to grow up with the assumption that it easy and someone will allways cater to likes and dislikes.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You should not feel guilty, you are teaching your kids to respect you and what they are given, and not to be picky .
    If you did you would teach them they get their way if they whine long enough, and they will have you wrapped around their little finger in no time, which does nothing good for them now or in the long run.

You are doing great, stand firm, and continue the good work...even when it's hard :-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2010