what would you do if you were told this?

sometime last yr we needed state assistance. the yr before i had lost my job so i was collecting unemployment. well later in 2009 i got pregnant and kept looking for work. like many others i never found one and since we were going to have a baby i figured my chances over someone who wasn't pregnant weren't so good of getting hired over them, i stopped applying for the unemployment. at this point i had decided that i would just stay at home and raise my kids and haul it out with the financial burdens that came along. anyway for a few months there my husband was down to bringing home less then $200 for two wks at his job. my child support and his pay check weren't enough. went to state to get some help with food stamps and the lady told me if i was approved for unemployment that i HAD to accept it....i told her truthfully even if i have no intention on going back to work? what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• My mother in law is still getting it and has been laid off for over 2 years, with the federal extensions if you live in a state with high unemployment you can possibly still be eligible.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• seems odd. I would get a second and third opinion AND you can get it in writing. If they say you must.... then you must. But morally I think you are doing the correct thing.

Anonymous

• I didnt know you HAD to take it, that seems silly because you have to aply for jobs so if your not going to work and they ask for your work searches and you dont have them then you have to pay that money back it says so right there when you file your weekly claim. I would ask for a supervisor to look at your case again, I know a lady who was denied because she owned a home that was the only reason ,she called and talked to a supervisor and the lady who denied her had been denying people for months for reasons that were not valid she was fired and my friend got the medical she needed for her son.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Hmm. I thought unemployment was only given for 6 months. I didn't think it was a never-ending thing. DH received it but they wouldn't go beyond the 6 months even though he was actively looking the whole time. Sounds more odd to me that you could still be eligible for it, or that you're told you are.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she meant that applies in order for you to get assistance.
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 8:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2010