Did you drop your middle name when you got married?

I had never ever in a million years heard of this until I got married. My mom was like "You won't have a middle name anymore!" and she said something about dropping my middle name and going by "FirstName MaidenName MarriedName" instead of "FirstName MiddleName MarriedName."

I swear, I had never heard of this!! I decided to keep my middle name and drop my maiden name. Is this weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I've never heard of dropping ones middle name before. Of course, In my case I woudln't do that since I go by my middle name and apparently you can't change your first name when you get married..(at least ..that is what i was told.)
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 7:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No it is not weird. I did it that way.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i know people who have done this and people who havent
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• never heard of dropping the middle name

I know some that hyphenated the maiden name and married name.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have heard of dropping your middle name and nope i didn't do it i kept my middle name!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 7:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• never heard anything like this.
    Anonymous

• I have NEVER heard of that. Perhaps it's an outdated thing that happened with your mother but my mother dropped her maiden name...I have never heard of anyone dropping their middle name. I kept my middle name and my maiden name. I had no desire to take my husband's last name at this point in my life and it would mess up too many things with my career as well.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have heard both ways. I chose FirstName MiddleName MarriedName.
    Anonymous

• No I kept the middle name and dropped my maiden name. It was a doozy! Much easier to keep the middle name in my case.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i have heard of it but i dont understand why,i see no point in keeping my maiden last name,my name is long enough plus my long last name and maiden. example i woudl be elizabeth janette robertson christopherson im just elizabeth janette christopherson not elizabeth robertson chrostopherson ,tooooo long
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010