Men working at a preschool??

Our daughter is on the waiting list for a preschool in our area. The time length is a year and a half. I just found out today that there are 20 staff members 6 of which are men. They are mostly art teachers. My question is,is this common to have men working in a preschool? I'm a new mom. Bare with me. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Men make great teachers, just like women. When I was a preschool teacher, we had a couple of men working as teacher's aides. Unfortunately, due to parental hysteria and the way our society views men (perverts, etc), they were not allowed to change diapers or take the children to the bathroom.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• why is that unusual...i've never heard of preschool staff being only women...seems a bit sexist to only have women there
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It's not unheard of. It's kind of like male nurses, a very small percentage of the total. But it would be illegal, and honestly inappropriate, to keep them out.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 8:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Talk about discrimination. A woman would be slapping a law suit on that instantly if a man complained about women working in a factory.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Why would this even be a question? Why not ask is it normal for 14 of them to be women? Just saying. You don't get to pick the sex of the teachers in preschool or any other time. In our preschool for two of my daughters it was a female teacher and there is a different female teacher now. However, we only have one class, one teacher and there is an aid which is also female.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My counselor doesn't think it's a good idea to trust a man in my daughter's care, but honestly I think it depends on the man. I know alot of women out there I would not trust with my child and I know a man I know would be good with her.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I worked at a daycare and over half the after school teachers were male. I don't see the problem with hiring both men and women. Why do you care if there are men working there?
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• wow thats awful...there are women perverts and sex offenders too.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Not to sound sexist but I think men make better teachers because they don't PMS every month and give you an unfair grade jus cause they got their period.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: HELLO PEOPLE! I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING IS WORNG WITH IT! JEEZ! IM ASKING IF IT'S COMMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE THAT NEGATIVE ATTITUDE SOME WHERE ELSE.
    Anonymous