My daughter wants a balloon everytime we pass the dollar store! Help?

My 20 month old has entered the terrible twos stage a bit earlier than I expected...and she's embarrassing me in public!

A couple of weeks ago, we went to the dollar store, and on our way out, I decided to purchase a helium balloon for her. She loved it!

Now everytime we pass the dollar store, she runs to the door to go in, thinking that she'll get a balloon. I have to physically remove her from the door, and of course she cries bloody murder. People look at me as if I'm beating on her or something!!

I don't mind getting her a ballooon every once in awhile, but I'm certainly not going to buy one for her every time we pass the store (we pass by it ALL THE TIME). And I don't want to get her a balloon while she's having a tantrum, because I don't want her to think she can get what she wants that way.

How do I handle this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL im reading your question as my 3 year old freaks out about the balloon that the string fell off of and she cant reach it :P funny..just keep saying no..YOU CAN DOOO IT
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• just keep saying no and she will learn that she can't always get what she wants...don't worry about ppl staring just stick to your guns and don't give in....she'll thank you for it "not literally" later in life
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree keep saying no
    my son wants one too every time we are in a store that has them - and I say no a lot
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Kroger and Shop n save give out a free balloon. So when we are there, as long as the kids behave, they may get one and I tell them they are complimentary (as are the cookies), and they know the ones elsewhere cost money and they can save up in their piggy bank (my kids have the smary savvy piggy banks) and buy one.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If you know that you will passing up the store with her, try telling her several times before hand that she will not be getting a balloon today...no balloon this time...no balloon store today...etc...and just keep doing what your doing,and don't give in. Theres probably not much more that you can do other than divert the store every single time you go out, LOL...and that probably won't be possible. Your not being a bad mom..let people stare..when your daughter isn't looking stick your tongue out at them ,haha.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• is she ready to understand the idea of earning one? how about the idea that if she does something a certain amount of times she gets so many stickers or marks on a chart- then when she gets a certain number, she gets a balloon?
    It's kid of hard to understand that you can't have something just because someone tells you it's that way-
    even as a adult- if anyone tells me I can't have something I want, then I want to know why, and what can I do to get one? I figure that one way another there's a will there's a way-

so maybe this can be a way for her to get what she would like to have- as adults we get things by earning money right?
    sounds like the same concept to me.

Anonymous

• Tell her NO and move on. It is ok to tell a child no, it will not harm them and they have to get used to being told no because they will hear it a lot growing. Don't worry about what other people think, it isn't their business. Your child will get used to not getting everything she wants and the tantrums will go away. She is still a baby and doesn't understand when her wants aren't given.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Well you could do like dr phil says and stand back and watch her have her fit and if someone says something be like I know isn't it horrible. Just keep telling her no. Pick her up and carry her away from the door. Even if you give in just once she will think that this is the way to act all the time. It's hard. I know. I have a 2 year old that sees chocolate at the store and will throw a fit because he wants it.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Stand for something or fall for anything. Continue telling her NO and don't give in. I also agree with the concept of making her earn stars to get a treat. Negative behavior should always be redirected towards a more constructive, positive outlet. Please be patient, as she's young, and will require a lot of patience, tolerance and consistency from your end. Be aware that the "terribles" doesn't end at age two. You've also got the terrible threes, fours, fives, teens, etc. LOL. I empathize with you as my son would act out for a ball. He'd clown so bad that other customers would offer to buy him a ball and I refused that as well. Needless to say, this would make him doubly angry. Reminding him about NO balls before we went into any store was futile. I don't care how many balls I bought for him, there was always another color, shape or size that he just had to have. Eventually, your daughter will comply.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Do you know how to say no? It is simple...just say...No. And give her no reason. Just NO means no. If you continue to give in to ridiculous demands now...wait till she is fourteen...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2010