Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do we have to file taxes if neither one of us has worked all year but we had a new baby jan 09??

some say we do but some say we dont

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • I don't think you HAVE to, but the government does give you money for your children every year. They wont know unless you file. I would.

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • If you didn't make much money then no but if you didn't make much money you don't have to pay taxes and you can get the earned income credit which can help out a lot when having a child in diapers.


    Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • You can get earned income based on how much you have worked. The more you worked the more you get up to a certain amount then it starts going down again.


    Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • It depends. Did one or both of you receive unemployment benefits? You have to report them if you did. In general if you income is below a certain amount (consult IRS for the amount as it changes yearly) you are not required to file - however filing would benefit you because you will still be eligible for certain tax credits and benefits. Please note that any **income** above the limit must be reported. It does not have to be earned income (income from work). It could be from interest, rent, royalties, gifts, gambling, capital gains or any other kind of income.

    Answer by beckcorc at 6:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • You have to make some sort of income or unemployment to get the child tax credit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • I would hope that people who didn't work all year couldn't recieve a child tax credit or earned income credit for that child.

     I mean it's called "earned income credit" and you didn't earn any money.

    If you had money coming in from the government I don't know how that works.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.