facial ticks, autism.. help!!!

i have a 8 month old little girl, mind you i also have another child.. im not a new mom..

my daughter is acting weird, she shows a lot of signs of autism. i took her to her ped. today and he said she was normal.. but had some minor signs of autism but that she is too young to diagnose with out prominite evedance. anyways... he did say she has a facial tick...
tell me everything you know about these things... and what i should do!!!!!!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 9:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is wayyyyyyy to young to give a firm diagnosis of autism, it's just not possible to tell, I don't know what signs you mean but at 8 months, being non-communicative, head banging, grunting, staring, tantrums etc is all within the realms of normal. By all means keep an eye on it, but please don't rush in to get a diagnosis ASD is one of the most over-diagnosed disorders in American children today, it is the 2010 equivalent of the 90's ADHD (and yes I do have a child on the spectrum, but we didn't have a firm diagnosis for years, as a good ped will eliminate all other possibilities before heading down this path). A facial tick is just that -a spasm of a muscle. At her age it is likely to be invluntary, possibly worse when she is completely calm and relaxed. They often diasappear never to return, as the baby learns better muscle control. Try not to worry , keep an eye on her development but don't jump to conclusions just yet
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• thanks!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 9:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2010