The Bystander Effect... Heard of it? I find it Sad!

The bystander effect is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer help in an emergency situation when other people are present. The probability of help has in the past been thought to be inversely proportional to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help.

They made this video of a mock child abduction and what ppl do...is sad.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80858365/

What are your thought?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 9:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• the diffusion of responsibility because everyone is thinking someone else is going to do something about it, or as people wait for someone to do something and nothing is done.....then everyone feels that they are less responsible since no one else is doing anything, why should they. Granted theres been some experimentation to show that this is more than marginally accurate, however its not an extensive research. It does happen though, and its frightening.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• About 7 years ago, a woman was being raped in a apartment hallway. Everyone watched and no one helped, only one person called 911. I don't understand what makes me not help, Ive never been in that situation before, if I ever am I hope that I would help. I didn't watch the video you posted.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I've heard about this... it's almost like everyone assumes someone else has already called for help... but sad and worrying for our children. Wow armywife, I hadn't heard about that, what a disgusting way to behave. I would like to think that if I was actually there, I'd have tried to help her.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• well, how many times have you heard it here? don't want to interfere- not my place.
    or that parents can do anything they want?

if that was true we wouldn't need CPS-
    Anonymous

• I would probably do that. I thought it was because I am autistic and lack empathy, and have other social issues that impede things for me, like not touching people and stuff. Along with learning to hate people in general over my life because of how they have always treated me because I am different. I suppose it doesn't say much for the world at large that these people are out there, but it does kinda make me feel better knowing mostly of them are probably normally-wired and still do this.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2010