Mirena embedded in uterus..

I had an ultrasound today to check the placement of my mirena after 1-2 months of terrible stomach pains and a stabbing feeling that prohibits me from having sex. I went this morning and found it weird how the ultrasound techs (it took two) were being overly nice to me and that I couldn't see my mirena at all.
I got a call at 6pm from my doctor who told me my mirena has embedded itself in my uterus and is making a hole into my stomach and the head doctor of the office wants to see me in the morning. She told me that he said he is probably going to have to put me under and take it out. The rest of the conversation was a blurr.

Obviously I am scared. I'm unsure of how things will go and if I don't get insight, I most likely won't sleep. Do they do a laparoscopy? I have had one done before.
If anybody has had this happen to them can share their story, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure you ask them about your ability to carry a pregnancy in the future-- with the old copper IUDs it was a problem for future pregnancies-
    Anonymous

• That's a fear of mine with this. I wanted mirena to hold off pregnancy for a while not kill my ability to have children=[
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My Paraguard got lodged in my cervix. They were able to remove it by pulling the strings because I never trimmed my strings and it was lodged very low. Honestly, it didn't hurt.

You don't want holes in your abdomen if you can help it. If they can do the procedure through your vagina and not cut into you at all, then your recovery will be a few days. Lapro surgery isn't too bad-- I've had that for something unrelated. If they do lapro then they may fill your stomach with CO2. It's super weird. They inflate you to fit in the tools. It makes your neck sore if the CO2 travels up. You'll fart it all out in about 12 hours.

Have you doctor write out your care plan and give you a hard copy. It's too stressful to remember all the details while you are in pain, in shock, and afraid. You'll be feeling better soon!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• o geez now that is freakin me out lol i guess i will be calling tomorrow about this im not waiting a month to go back in to find out i got this thing lodged into me
    Anonymous

• Wow. This is so scary. This just makes my decision to never have an IUD that much more clear.

I watched a story on Discovery Health about a women who got pregnant with it and her baby was born with it in her head!

They don't tell you all these things when they put it in...do they?

I'm sorry you are going through this mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010