would a church be wrong to shut down an institution before going against their morals?

There are two hospitals in our area. Both are ran by the Catholic Church and have said if they are forced to provide abortions or birth control they will shut their doors. This well leave thousands without a hospital in the area. Many patients travel 4 or more hours to the hospitals for surgeries. If the hospital opts to stay open and discontinue accepting state funds it will be as if middle class and upper class have a place to go but the lower class will have to travel for elective surgery.

Should the state force the hospital to perform medical procedures against the church teachings knowing it will force the hospital to shut down and hurt low income families?

Is this a situation state should leave well enough alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes the state should stay out of it. There are other places one can go for those services. And YES my church would shut down before they would change their doctrine for the state. We would be forced to meet in small groups at homes like people in other countries.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• This is only a decision the hospital can make. I think it would be more beneficial to accept the state's help of course.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I think the church must stay true to its foundations. We have a large hospital here in Oregon that recently lost its affiliation with the Catholic Church. The hospital is still open, but without church support.

Personally, I think it would be crappy if the state sacrificed vital medical facilities because of 2 things that could easily be provided elsewhere. The state cannot the demand church provide these services because doing so would be unconstitutional...they can however pull public funding.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• "Should the state force the hospital to perform medical procedures against the church teachings knowing it will force the hospital to shut down and hurt low income families?"
    sorry but yes- there's such a thing as greater good and the world does not revolve around you-
    Anonymous

• I'm curious... do the hospitals only hire Catholics on staff? I would think the majority of non-Catholic (and likely some who are) doctors are proponents of birth control, especially condoms given the amount of STDs they have to regularly treat.

It sounds to me like the hospital has lost sight of the needs of its patients over religious politics. What else is new?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• "world does not revolve around you- "

no the world does not revolve around one person or even many people BUT a Catholic hospital DOES revolve around the Catholic Church
    Anonymous

• "It sounds to me like the hospital has lost sight of the needs of its patients over religious politics. What else is new? "

why can't the patients go to the private office of the doctors for those things? THere is also two murder factories operating under the name of PP in our area. Why can't they keep the "sight" of the patients who want to kill their babies?
    Anonymous

• The church has every right to folow their beliefs and if they didn't by their actions that would make them hypocrtyes wouldn't it?

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 10:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't think that religion and medical care should be connected IN ANY WAY. Hospitals should be funded by the state only so medical care isn't based on what someone else believes is right or wrong. That is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• The state couldn't afford that anon.
    Anonymous