helping against your moral conscience

Could you help a person out if you know it goes against your beliefs?

Will you help your 18 year old niece get birth control if you think it is wrong? Would you help your brother go to a church if you feel is a cult and know your parents won't approve? Would you loan money to a friend for an abortion if you think you are contributing to murder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I probably wouldn't do any of those things. I might offer different alternatives or give advice.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with lowencope. I MIGHT do the first thing but I absolutely wouldn't do the last 2.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No, I will never compromise my convictions when it comes to my beliefs and morals.

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 10:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No to all those. They would need prayer or guidance but not be enabled to do sin.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The first and last aren't against my moral convictions, but if something was, no I wouldn't want any part of it.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Well, yes and no. There are things that I see as wrong, but I tolerate knowing that not everyone believes as I do. A perfect example would be IUDs, most people see no issue with them and have no issue getting them. If my sister wanted to borrow money to get an IUD, I would LEND it to her, but I wouldn't gift it. I personally see them as wrong, but knowing her views are different, I could look away. However, there are issues that I couldn't lend help for because I feel the simple action would do more harm than good. An example here would be vaccines. If my sister came to me and said she needed money to get a flu vac. I would tell her go somewhere else.

I think it comes down to how strongly I feel about a subject. If it's something I can tolerate, even though I may not agree with, I would help. If it's something I feel strongly opposed to, I would not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yes, no, yes. The first two aren't against my moral codes, but if they were, I would still help for the health and safety of my niece and friend. The second I could never do because of the issues of health and safety and what cults can do (aka KILL) a person.
    Anonymous

• To all of those things you listed - I have no issue with most forms of BC and can tolerate even those I disagree with, so, yes. I would help there. I feel that a persons religious freedom comes before familial obligations, so, yes, I would help there. And I am very pro-choice. Even though I don't agree with Abortion, I believe it's a choice the mother has to make and would ask that she look in to other options prior to abortion. However, if she needed me to LEND her money I would help.

None of those things really go against my beliefs to begin with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

I think it comes down to how strongly I feel about a subject. If it's something I can tolerate, even though I may not agree with, I would help. If it's something I feel strongly opposed to, I would not

What is something you feel strongly about?
    Anonymous

• no if its against my own personal morals, i wont assist. I wont judge either, but I won't contribute to something I don't belive in.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2010