How many of you who have had polyhydramnios (high level of amniotic fluid) required a c-section for delivery?

I was just diagnosed with polyhydramnios 2 days ago and removed from work. It is extremely uncomfortable. I was researching online and saw that the complications during delivery can be umbilical cord prolapse and placental abruption, which I know both require an emergency C-section. I was wondering how many of you with this condition were able to deliver vaginally versus C-section?

geckoxcl

Asked by geckoxcl at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• By the way, I am 36 weeks along.
    geckoxcl

Answer by geckoxcl at 10:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I am so glad you posted this because i am scheduled for an unltrasound monday to measure amniotic fluid, and i have been reading up on it as well and i am terrified of the things it can cause! what was the reason for them to check your fluid was you measuring bigger? cause i am!! GOODLUCK!! I would love to know your story on this! thanks
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• RCPerry - I am measuring 2 weeks bigger. I have been measuring 2 weeks ahead for about a month, but I am also very short (4'10"), so this did not alarm anyone until I started having bad cramps over the past weekend. I went in for a non stress test on Monday where they couldn't find a problem, however the cramps got worse, so they brought me into the office for an ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid the next day. I am only slightly above (measuring 26.6 cm when the high limit is 25 cm) but because of my small frame, it is ridiculously painful. I now have not only a weekly OB appt, but also a weekly non stress test and weekly ultrasound to monitor the baby. I am scared to death that I will need an emergency C-section.
    geckoxcl

Answer by geckoxcl at 10:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• This happened to a student of mine. She opted to have a c-section bc she was afraid. She is also a tiny person. Her next pregnancy she suffered from low fluid. She told me that if she had to do over again, she would have not had the c-section and waited things out. Her high-fluid baby was fine and huge. He was almost 10 pounds. She thinks the doc may have measured things wrong since the baby was so big and maybe her fluid was fine and the doctor just freaked her out. Ultrasounds are not 100%. They are just one of many tools. She feels that the first c-section led to the low fluid with the second pregnancy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• That is a little high. But if you don't have a rupture then no worries for prolapse. There may be greater risks for these complications, but it doesn't look like these risks outweigh the risks with a cesarean.
    Depending on how you feel about them, examine the real risks for each potential complication to weigh against the surgical delivery. It might be nicely reassuring to see that your risks are not as great as you'd thought.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I had this issue and it went undetected until I was in labor, and they broke my water. Now that we look back, I was measuring bigger for how far along I was, and I suddenly gained A LOT of weight (doc was pleased though since i'd lost so much weight due to morning sickness), and was swollen from head to my big fast susage toes.

At any rate, I DID have a cord prolapse...baby's HR dropped into the 90's. I was given an amnio flush...they push the cord back in, and keep some type of fluid in your uterus to keep the cord from prolapsing again. I vaginally delivered a healthy baby. No C-Section necessary.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thank you, everyone. These answers are very reassuring. I am not going to worry too much. Just rest my bigger than normal belly and "Cankles" as much as possible!
    geckoxcl

Answer by geckoxcl at 10:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2010