Three carseats across the back?

I have a 3 1/2 year old (29lbs), a 1 1/2 year old (26lbs) and am due in June.
My question is...how will I fit 3 seats across the back of my car? I drive a Nissan Rogue. We are willing to buy 2 new seats for the older kids if need be. Can anyone give me some suggestion as to how I will fit 3 car seats back there?

SabrinaLC

Asked by SabrinaLC at 10:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• good luck, i need to figure this out too, but i have until November to figure it out. And hopefully my daughter who is almost 4 will be big enough for a small booster by then. I have a Hyundai sonata
    Anonymous

• The Radians are really narrow, I think 17" and hold up to like 85lbs in a harness and can also be rear facing, but what I never figured out about those is if you can only use LATCH or if seatbelts can be used. I have a back seat that is 55" long, which I had to replace all car seats to make the baby fit. My older kids are in the "air protect" car seats and my baby is in a britex diplomat and it fits great. they also have a new car seat out that is only like 15" wide, a Cocorro or something like that, but don't look like they would last long, so maybe for the baby that would work. measure your seat then check the width on other car seats. I went to Target and they let me take the car seat out and try it to make sure it fit before I bought it. I'm not sure how big the back seats are in a Rogue.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It will be hard and take some work. When I had my last baby me and my boyfriend's mom would have to push and pull carseats in order to make them fit in her backseat. She has a saturn vue. I have 2 in carseat and another on the way and she has one in a booster.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• All I can suggest is measure the width of carseats and the width of the back seat and do the math. When you go online they have carseat dimensions. Kmart and walmart sell narrow seats I do know that, also where you put each seat helps too. When my girls were little, I had 2 in carseats and a friend had hers in one as well, well the the wider seats did best on the outside and the skinniest in the middle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The smallest seats are Sunshine Radian and Combi Coccoro. We've been trying to figure this one out as well. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• We have a booster seat for our 4 year old, a 5 pt harness for our 2 year old, and the baby carrier thingy goes in the middle. It worked in a Ford Taurus (which is a sedan). I'm not sure what a Nissan Rogue looks like in the back, but we didn't have a problem making it work. It was hard getting them in and out- and eventually we just bought a minivan, but it's do-able. Just play around with the seats and see which way they'll fit best. If you can though, try to put your newest addition in the middle- it's the safest place for baby carriers. good luck!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Try the Sunshine Kids radian seats!!! I can get three seats in the back of my Nissan Titan.. and they are- Evenflo Triumph advance (rearfacing) Graco Nautilus(FF'ing)and The first years True Fit (Rear facing)... so you shouldnt have too many problems getting most carseats in the back of yours. And my truck is not a 4dr, it has the side suicide doors, so the back isnt big at all... if I can do it, you can too! lol. It is very IMPORTANT that you make sure that the seats are INDEPENDENTLY tight and not just tight because they are smooshed together.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I HIGHLY suggest the Radian's, however I know not everyone can afford them. Put the oldest in a Graco Natulis (even 4 year olds can be to small for a booster! My 5 year old doesn't even weigh 40 pounds yet - 40 is the min. weight for a booster), my 20 month old is in a Graco Comfort Sport (it's not too big) and the baby's seat should fit well between the two.

I fit 3 in the back of our Toyota Camry. We had the Natulis, the Comfort Sport, and our oldest is 7, so she's in a booster (high back).

Also, have a professional install them.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• go to safekids.org and find your local coalition and get a carseat tech to install it for you!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i agree contact a carseat tech and see if you might be able to meet with one..Also i "think" babies R us will let you try out carseats in your car.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 7:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010