Can I afford to feed my family of 3

on a budge of 212 dollars per month? We usually shop at Dillons and buy the Kroger brand. We also have a Wal-Mart, but do not typically buy our groceries there. Those are our only two store options. Do you think I can do this? Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I heard somewhere that the average American family spends around $100 a week on groceries...or at least that's what it averages out to be. I guess the "average American family" consists of 4 people so that would be around $400 a month. You are trying to spend half of that amount with 1 less person. I think that would really be a stretch honestly.
    Anonymous

• I am feeding a family of 4 off $306 a month. I usually do the ad matching at walmart. It saves us litteraly almost $100 a month that way. I have been doing that for a few years now and love it. Ocationally I will go to another store if they have a good offer for buy one get one free because Walmart doesn't do that, but most of the time everything else is from Walmart. Honestly I can't think of a better way to stretch your dollar, other than clipping coupons which I also do. GL and hope this helps a little.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Kroger doubles coupons in most locations, either up to .50 or 1.00 (meaning a .50 coupon = $1 off or a $1 off = $2 off). Match them with sales, buy meat on manager's special and freeze it until you need it, use plain frozen veggies in place of fresh produce when fresh isn't on sale. We spend under $50/wk for a family of 3, and never use WM, only Kroger (and CVS which is usually free but takes money up front to get it started).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• it depends on how much you eat, and what you are eating. you can buy a lot of fruits and veggies at farmers markets, and that will save a lot of money from the produce dept at the grocery store.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• it is going to be tight but you can be crafty and keep all leftovers. We would freeze them and have leftover Sundays when we had a really tight budget, or take the leftovers for lunch the next day.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Drink water-- not sodas or juice boxes.

Cook everything from scratch. It's a lot cheaper to make beans and rice and chicken than buy a box of rice-a-roni or a frozen meal. Replace meat with beans and vegetables. Soups and stews are very inexpensive and healthy if you make them yourself. Home made chicken and rice soup with veggies-- you can serve 12 for about $5. Make big pots and freeze left overs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Lists, make lists!!! Make your menu plan so you know what to shop for. Keep track of your freezer and pantry. Use coupons that are worth it to you not just because you have a coupon. And then with those coupons go where they will serve you the best. We shop as WinCo, Safeway, Dollar Tree, Grocery , a regular Walmart, and occasionally a supercenter, and then our town grocery store. So, many stores are great to maximize your food dollar. Do not go to the store everyday for your meal items, if you run out of one item, Improvise. But for me and the success to keep our food budget down to $250 a month for 4. I make tons and tons of lists also, I keep track of my menu here at CM as a journal page.

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Our family of 4 eats off of $200/month easily. We buy everything on sale and or with coupons and don't buy stuff we don't need. No coffee or alcohol either and that cuts the cost quite a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I feed me and 5 kids on 400 a month. I make a bi-weekly menu and shop from a list and get veggies at the local farmers market which is always cheaper than the grocery store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• e3322q111ADFLKGJ'MZQFWSAEDSJHGF5D43SWA2Q11QAZXSWEE\3\2\
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2010